WMO/*** filter lifespan?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Strauss is a dairy in Marin County that actually does capture methane and use it in co-generation, they're a great example of a socially responsible company. They also use parts of their pasture lands to provide community gardens for folks who have no yards to plant veggies in. It would be outstanding if he worked there :)

seriousbum

seriousbum
Reaction score
Tank heater

If you're very careful with the way you set it up and monitor it for trouble every now and then you can grab a low density how water heater element rated at 4500w/220v and drive it at 110v (they last longer than their 110v brethren), you then go to the electrical section and get a junction box nut that fits the thread on the element. Pick up a 110v how water heater thermostat too.

You get a hole saw and drill your hole to mount the element about 6" off the bottom, put the washer on the outside mount it with the nut.

JBWeld the thermostat at the the drum lip just below the level to which you will be filling it with oil. Wire her up.

Then I would grab a bundle of r19 and wrap the barrel - being careful to leave a 4" hole in all direction around the mounting point for the heater element to avoid fire hazards. Then wrap the insulation it with saran wrap.

heater element: ~$15.00
thermostat: ~$15.00
insulation: ~$10.00

There is an easier way. Go to Ebay and put in wvo. You will find a tank heater that has a 110 element, a guard and thermostat. Then you just throw it in the oil and plug it in. Oil is non conductive. You can buy the same thing at most farm and ranch supply stores. Either place it is about $30.

There is an easier way. Go to Ebay and put in wvo. You will find a tank heater that has a 110 element, a guard and thermostat. Then you just throw it in the oil and plug it in. Oil is non conductive. You can buy the same thing at most farm and ranch supply stores. Either place it is about $30.

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good idea

Depends on how much dirt is in your unfiltered oil. The longer you settle before filtering the longer your filters will last. Also don't pull your oil from the bottom of your pre-filter source.

I have filtered several hundred gallons of oil through the 2 micron filter although I gravity feed filter instead of pressure feed filter my oil.
good idea

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so ive been filtering oil 2 micron with a small pump ive been mixing it with diesel to think it out a little do i consider my filters clogged when oil flow slows down or is there another way?

seriousbum

seriousbum
Reaction score
Ditto here. Let it settle. Don't take it off the bottom. Heat makes the filter last longer. I use a gravity fed system too. Sometimes you can take the filter and clean it a little if you use gravity. Go on Ebay and find some bag type filters. I use multiple filters and the system lasts longer.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
I heat to about 130F, centrifuge 4 hours on 50 gallons @ 1 gallon a minute, and use a bag filter of 5 microns inside of a 0.5 micron bag. I hot circulate non-pressurized through the bags. Final filter before the nozzle is a Goldenrod 10micron water block (oil is already clean at this point). Only fuel related problems I've had was a bad batch of #2 at the local Raceway station. It took 4 filters to get all the dirt and water out. The stuff I brew is about 400% cleaner than some of the local stations swill.:rolleyes:
These bag filters are 7" dia. and 32" long, they have a huge filtering area... The prices are not bad at all considering a 5m and a 0.5m bag-in-a-bag setup like I use will last you a couple of years.
Check it out... http://www.filtersource.com/store/listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=117

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.