WMO and portable kerro heaters

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started using RUG in my wmo mixes a while back and the thinner viscosity made me think of my portable kerro heater.
Has anyone tried a mix like this in a smaller portable heater???

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rug will behave just like rug when set on fire *wooosh!* then the wmo will fill the space with smoke.

Try it and post a youtube vid :rotflmao

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok good point with the RUG. What about changing to all diesel or kerro to thin it down.
If I knew I could do it without much injury that could be kind of funny. Hey maybe I could try it on a old heater, out in the middle of somewhere nothing will burn.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you mean a portable torpedo heater or one with a wick. I have tried them both with WVO and can say tell you that the wicked ones will not work with any sort of mix. The torpedo heaters will work with a blend, but the one I bought at TSC is really finnicky about the viscosity. It will work great with a blend one day, but if it gets colder you better have room in the tank to cut it because it gets too thick quick. You will have to experiment, but I will never fill mine up all the way because you may need to add some K-1 on a real cold day.

wmoguy

Reaction score
All winter my buddy burned WMO blend fuel that I gave him, for his Torpedo Diesel Heater. I forget what brand it is, IIRC it's something like 120k BTU. Anyway, he probably burned 30'ish gallons in it this winter, and it burned fine. (and I often use RUG in my blend when i don't feel like driving to get Kero)

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All winter my buddy burned WMO blend fuel that I gave him, for his Torpedo Diesel Heater. I forget what brand it is, IIRC it's something like 120k BTU. Anyway, he probably burned 30'ish gallons in it this winter, and it burned fine. (and I often use RUG in my blend when i don't feel like driving to get Kero)

Do you know what percentages he used???
50/50, 60/40. etc

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He used my winter blend (my fuel) which is 80% wmo / 20% thinner (either Kero or RUG)

blends must vary by heater manufacturer, or else wmo stays way less viscous than wvo. My heater would never burn a mix that heavy. I could do 50-50 unless it was down in the low teens, then I had to really cut it.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
blends must vary by heater manufacturer, or else wmo stays way less viscous than wvo. My heater would never burn a mix that heavy. I could do 50-50 unless it was down in the low teens, then I had to really cut it.
Same here, Pro-Temp 120kbtu brand new. Does not like anything over 25%. I can go higher in percentage but it gets REAL HARD to get it to ignite. Once its ignited though it burns fine.

sassyrel

Reaction score
i tired to burn,,the 1/3 2/3 mix of wvo and diesel in my knipco..nope!!! 2/3 being wvo---had a h of a time getting that stuff out...maybe if i mixed more dsl in.......

wmoguy

Reaction score

The only time it gave us issue is when it was close to 0 fahrenheit ambient temp. A gallon of diesel or so mixed into the tank and she fired right up. Once they are running I think you could probably drop bearing grease in there and it would burn that thick of stuff. :rotflmao

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine (bought last year at TSC) will light with thick blends, but will slowly dim over several minutes and then turn off all at once. I am guessing the pump is too weak to push the viscous fluid to the burner and it must have a thermocouple of some sort that turns it off. When it shuts down you can restart it immediatly and it will run another five minutes. I dunno.
What brand heater do you have that eats the thick stuff so well.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Mine (bought last year at TSC) will light with thick blends, but will slowly dim over several minutes and then turn off all at once. I am guessing the pump is too weak to push the viscous fluid to the burner and it must have a thermocouple of some sort that turns it off. When it shuts down you can restart it immediatly and it will run another five minutes. I dunno.
What brand heater do you have that eats the thick stuff so well.

I'll find out next time I see him. I know he got it at some garage sale for $75 (jealous he found it instead of me!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online