WMO and other fuel blends

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some people with engines that dont have optic sensors(like the gm 6.5) have ran wmo blends as heavy as 100% the most i can get to run in my truck is 25%wmo and 75%wvo or diesel. any higher than this and i throw codes. i belive its because the optic sensor cant see through the fuel because the wmo makes it too thick. i have also found that 25%wmo/75%wvo blend works really well. i think the wvo gives me my idle quality back and the wmo gives me back my power that i loose from running just wvo (yes, i have noticed a difference)
i understand alot of people have a problem with using wmo as a fuel because of the emmisions. the emmisions really are not as bad as it may seem. however, lets try to keep this thread open for those that are using it in thier blends. wmo blended with wvo yeilds great results and i believe a thinner blend.
i think blends are a great way to get to work and i would like to know what you guys have ran and the results you got from certain blends. please include the engine it was ran through also. the type of injection it had wouldnt hurt either. im trying to start a knowledge base for us blend'ers and not all blenders are going to know that your 98.5' cummins is electronic injected but your 98 cummins isn'.t
:shoot: OPEC

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
if you have less power on WVO, it is because you aren't doing something right.

either a restriction in the filter (too thick fuel) or bad spray pattern due to the oil being cold.
try heating the stuff.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my fuel is about 150 degrees after my lift pump. having a hard time getting it any hotter. but when i mix it with wmo it doesnt really seem to care what the temp is as long as its not too cold. id say anything over 75 is a safe temp for the blend. but with my primary fuel filter being inside the engine valley, the temps are usually raised pretty good when the engine is warm. but im still perfecting my wmo/wvo blend, and heating tecniques. planning on getting an electric inline heater to go between my fuel filter and ip in the engine valley. this will help with cold starts.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
so what would it take to run a strong mix of wmo, i want to run wvo when i get the chance to upgrade but motor oil is availible to me and i can easily throw it in for now. i currently only add a gallon or two to a full tank of diesel.

i guess i am wondering how thick a mixture i can get away with running on a stock sytem and at what temp i should (if any) look for problems.

could i run a colder temperature ok if i put a heated system in, i assume the answer would be yes.

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jred-i would quess you are talking about your ford. i dont have personal experience with these but i believe they are more forgiving when it comes to mix ratio then my 6.5. i think someone on here was running 100% in his idi but dont quote me on this. also-if you run a high percentage of wmo you need to run a tank of straight desiel every couple of tanks to clear out the coke deposites. sorry but thats all i got. with my setup 75%#2 and 25%wmo heating isnt necesry but i think it does help. from my experience i would probably start off with 4g#2 and 1g wmo and see how it does-
i wish i could remember who was running 100% then i could point you in the right direction.

subway

Reaction score
yes i am talking about my 94 IDI no sensors to clog up so that is an advantage.

I might have hit a small jackpot, i found a guy who has a 55 gal drum full of diesel WMO mix. apperenty he decided to store diesel in the drum he used for WMO but forgot it was in there. now he dousent want it, i figured i could run my truck on it. i dipped it and with my edumicated sniffer LOL and his story it looks like around 75% diesel.

basically does anyone know if i can test it to find out the approximate mix? its free for the taking and if it works could save me from a fuel bill for a few months. :thumbsup:
thanks

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
Why not filter it and run it 50/50 with diesel and run it that way till you use it up. Cuts your fuel bill in half.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
I can run 100% VO at about 50deg temp with out to much trouble but the oil is ****** oil. For some reason ****** oil doesn't set up at the lower temps as does the used WVO. I have used corn,soy,sunflower,mineral oil that is ****** oil. All the new stuff is great, 100% to around 50deg anything lower I start to mix. The used oil is good stuff also. We can filter it with a 10micron filter the first pass and run it till about 70deg at 100% then we start to mix to stop from having hard starts and fuel filter light coming on

subway

Reaction score
thanks, i might not even have to thin it down with this warm weather we are having. we are into january and its supposed to be in the mid 50's today. cookoo

so are there any recomended big and cheep industrial filter set ups to run it throuh before my truck gets it?

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
We prefilter through a funnel with a brass screen. Then gravity filter through a remote mount Ford PH8A style oil filter which is rated at 10 micron, Then thru a 5 micron whole house water filter and then through a Permacool 2 micron fuel filter/water seperator. Try to use WMO and ATF that are not contaminated with water so it is not an issue.

subway

Reaction score
thanks guys i was looking some stuff up i just wasent sure where to start on a filtering head unit. even if i have to drop a little coin to get them the 55gal of free fuel would offset that.:thumbsup:

sassyrel

Reaction score
100% wmo---is good to about 56 deg--then the lift pump on the idi doesnt want to pull it--also---make dang sure you flip to diesel 2 minutes before shutoff---dont ask--been there---and i filter to 5 microns--and people say about deposits in the oil--then how come the crank bearings aint torn up????????????????????????????????? i be the original--ask argve or agnem---:D :D :D

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you found out too i goofed on one tank got er to lite with a little ether since then 70% above 50* 50% below. mine is filtered to 2 microns & runs thru a water seperator at the same time then pumped into the tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online