Wiring Harness

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for a good harness for the 89 in my sig. I need everything from the front bumper to the back of the cab. I am tired of constantly having problems with bad spots in the wires and trying to track down and patch also trying to figure out other peoples band-aids is a nightmare.:frustrate:frustrate:frustrate

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painless makes wiring harnesses...
IMHO they are the most easy to install, all wires are printed with where they're going.
but they are every proud of them and it is reflected in the price.

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck invest in a good power probe i just did this it was tiedias
Looking for a good harness for the 89 in my sig. I need everything from the front bumper to the back of the cab. I am tired of constantly having problems with bad spots in the wires and trying to track down and patch also trying to figure out other peoples band-aids is a nightmare.:frustrate:frustrate:frustrate

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have the power probe 3 master kit. Don't use it much but it sure is handy when I do. I just bought an 87 parts truck that I planned in stripping. If your not in a hurry I can get you the harness. It's an 87 6.9 c6 regular cab

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one makes a plug and play aftermarket harness do they? The Painless and other harnesses are just fancy marked wire and a fuse box correct? It does not plug into the original factory plug-ins does it? If that is still the case, you might as well make your own harness if you are going to have to solder all the original plugs back in place. And what does that get you? Nice new wire with crappy old corroded plug-ins.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one makes a plug and play aftermarket harness do they? The Painless and other harnesses are just fancy marked wire and a fuse box correct? It does not plug into the original factory plug-ins does it? If that is still the case, you might as well make your own harness if you are going to have to solder all the original plugs back in place. And what does that get you? Nice new wire with crappy old corroded plug-ins.
Pretty much I talked to painless today on the phone and they say it is actually pretty difficult to tie their harness into out trucks because the factory wiring is more complex then what their kits are made for. they specialize in classic cars and GM EFI. I also called my local automotive electric shop and they cant do anything with ford vehicles because ford doesnt sell their connectors and you can only get certain pigtails from the auto parts store.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have the power probe 3 master kit. Don't use it much but it sure is handy when I do. I just bought an 87 parts truck that I planned in stripping. If your not in a hurry I can get you the harness. It's an 87 6.9 c6 regular cab
Does anyone know if that harness will work at all with my 89 7.3/E4OD

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes but how does the TCM harness tie into the main harness? Is it possible to tie them in together myself? I am not afraid of wiring i am just tired of trying to deal with this junk harness. I went out to the shop last night and cut probably 30ft of PO wiring out that from what i could tell had no purpose. There were places that instead of crimping on a spade terminal to tie int the fuse block all they did was strip the wire back and smash it in with a dead fuse

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Grab the factory wiring manual. You should be able to build the harness out of the parts.

As for the solenoid pack and range sensor connectors. You can get them new as a repair part if you need to.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you get all the added wires out of thereyou may find that the original stuff isnt to bad. Usually its some dope just sticking wires around a problem that doesnt exist.
I just got an 88 huge foldout schematic off ebay and it is awesome.
I tied in the diesel engine to the 460 truck harness, amazing how much is the same.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is an 08/89 would your schematic be the same

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk