winter tires

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Cooper Discover ATR I've got 265/75R16 on my 2wd 92 and it does fine, being 4x4 you could probaly go bigger, I most likely will once i'm done with my conversion. (waiting on more parts)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Studded Nokians, bar none! Put those things in all four corners and a little weight in the back and you won't have any trouble. Ice , snow, no worries. A set of those things on a 2x4 will get you places 4x4s can't dream of. If you put them on a 4x4, you won't even know you're on ice or snow.

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Studded Nokians, bar none! Put those things in all four corners and a little weight in the back and you won't have any trouble. Ice , snow, no worries. A set of those things on a 2x4 will get you places 4x4s can't dream of. If you put them on a 4x4, you won't even know you're on ice or snow.

+1 for those tires, if you can get them somewhere. I have those and they are like RLDSL wrote. Extremely good tires to drive even if there's deep ice grooves on the road. I hardly never need to use 4x4 during winter and i don't even have weight on the bed, which would help...

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
http://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/product/tabid/61/productid/28/sename/23585r16-crawler-mt-e.aspx

I like the 235/85's for winter cause the narrower tread width allows for more weight in a smaller area holding you on the road.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got 285 75 16 pepboys cheapo mudders and theyre quieter than the bfgs i had and they are almost the same tread pattern
they grip well and i slide the rear a lot but the front never wanders of corse with the 550 springs theres no weight back there

green diamond (i think thats them) are amazing they have a silicone compound granual in them that is summer leagal and works like a metal stud but in a much higher quanity
once you get 1000 miles on um the silicone comes out and they grip like gum in youre hair

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally, and especially when you're saying that the all seasons are not doing the job, go for winter tires that are true dedicated winter tires. A mediocre snow tire will give you better traction than most all seasons. Not only are the patterns really different, but the rubber compounds of the winter tires are different in order to be supple and grippy, rather than stiff, in cold conditions.

One exception is this-
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11952&group=2.02&name=Nokian+Vatiiva+A/T

Any all season that doesn't have blocky edges with full cuts will be like skates- I've learned that from experience.

Tires with lots of 'sipes' -- those funny looking cut stripes within the tread blocks -- will give much more traction on ice and packed snow than a tire with un-siped blocks.

The 'treadwrights' site seems to have tires with what they call a 'kedge' compuond- ground glass and walnut shells. Those will probably have good traction, but the old new england walnut shell retreads generally did not wear too long.

Good luck and let us know what you settle on and how it works.

One exception is the Nokian Vativa, which

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score

I can't use studded tires, Michigan government claims that they damage the road too much, and chains are only allowed if they "do not come in contact with the roadway"cookoo. what a bunch of horse sh*t that we put up with.:backoff

RWF350

Reaction score

When I lived in La, I sold Nokians @ a Goodyear I managed. Those are real good tires. I would run them in a heartbeat. NEVER had a complaint.

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ATR's on my F250 and it does damn good in the snow. Of course it's 4x4, but these are great tires. I got a nearly new set for next to nothing, otherwise I probly would've gotten something different.

I don't know if they make them in our size, but Winterforce has some great snow tires http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Winterforce (made by firestone) And they aren't overly expensive
I had a set on the back of my 2WD S10 and that thing was almost unstoppable. I couldn't believe how much snow I could go thru.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
If you are planning on using the tires just for winter use, get a tire that was designed solely for winter use. They have a softer compound to grip snow and ice better, but they wear out quick if you use them the rest of the season. And keep them skinny to cut thru the snow better. That sucks you cant use studded tires, they make a world of difference

pat_da_man

PatMan
Reaction score
thank you all for the suggestions. i'm gonna have a winter set and summer set of tires gonna have to check out some prices before i make my decision. thanks again

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't know if they make them in our size, but Winterforce has some great snow tires http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Winterforce (made by firestone) And they aren't overly expensive
I had a set on the back of my 2WD S10 and that thing was almost unstoppable. I couldn't believe how much snow I could go thru.

Looks like only passenger car/suv sizes on the Winterforce tires, At least at that vendor, Might be worth checking to see if they make them in truck size.
Those studded Winterforce are pretty good traction tires and they were real cheap, I bought two in a jam when a dealer ran out of nokians and a blizzard was coming for a car I had just bought and they track great, but a pair of the things on the rear makes more noise than the four giant mudders on the rear of my dually, and if I hit any rain grooves, the tail starts wagging the dog real bad. On more than one occasion, I have pulled over on the shoulder to see if I was getting a flat or loosing a wheel, but the traction is good with the things. I'm just used to having Nokians on my cars and those things are quiet

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the snow really that bad?? I have never even seen snow so bear with me. Is it worse than mud? Cant you just slap some BFG Mud terrains on there?

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the snow really that bad?? I have never even seen snow so bear with me. Is it worse than mud? Cant you just slap some BFG Mud terrains on there?

Take it from a person 60+/- miles from the Canadian Border: snow and winter roads come in all sorts of flavors: some mud tires might do OK in fresh snow that's not too dry and not too wet, with an OK surface underneath, but if you have wet slushy snow, or if you have an icy underlying surface with very dry powdery snow on top, you may end up seeming like you're driving on an oil slathered plastic sheet. It's not just about whether you can go, it's also about whether you can steer and stop on short notice, especially on curves that are banked the wrong way...

I had a 1991 2wd Ford Ranger that'd go _all_ sorts of places with studded Nokians (I lived on an unmaintained road on top of a VT ridge), then I had a 4wd truck with some Goodyear RT/S tires that looked like a good aggressive tread (and were marked M/S for mud/ snow rated), and that did well in mud or rain, but that sent me into the ditch 3 times (luckily with soft landings) in less than 2 months before the tow driver said that they'd nicknamed that tire's RTS as "Real Terrible in Snow" and that they were giving them a lot of extra business. Put Nokians on that same truck for winter use, and never even had a hint of a worry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online