Will this work as an oil cooler for my 7.3?

Reaction score
I am trying to find ways to improve the cooling of my Stroke so I can eliminate my mechanical fan. (More on that subject matter later.) Right now I am looking at oil coolers and this one looks pretty good to me. However, these are uncharted waters for me so I have some questions. Will the sheer size of this cooler cause my oil pressure to drop too far? Considering it came from an AC system will it even handle hot engine oil? I have a thing for using factory parts off the same year or type truck. Even if it was intended for something else. So if this would work as an oil cooler I think it would be a neat mod. Any thoughts?

You must be registered for see images attach

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[QUOTEConsidering it came from an AC system will it even handle hot engine oil?[/QUOTE]
A/C systems run a lot hotter than engine oil, and pressure is no problem with that condenser your showing.

Depending on where you take the oil from and return it, you wouldn't want to reduce the pressure.

Say you take the oil from the port at the rear engine flange (plug on the lower drivers side) with an orfice and return it to the pan, that should do it. I would install a real pressure and temp gages, just to monitor what is going on. Start with a 1/8" orfice and go from there.

Normal running, not towing, the engine oil temp is around 160*-170*. You would want to maintain at least 120* temp. for good viscosity flow.

Unless you do a lot of heavy towing, I don't know why you would need extra cooling.
I maybe wrong, just my .02 worth.

The PSD system is very similar to the IDI system except for the HPOP on the 7.3 engines.
You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
Very cool. thanks for the photograph. It is a long story and I do not want to get into it in this thread. Right now I just want to figure out if this evaporator will do the job. But I have to eliminate my mechanical fan. And i know elctric fans by them selves do not work on a 7.3 that tows heavy loads. So I am trying to find ways to help the electric fans when I install them.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Read up on the Horton fan clutch... should do enough cooling on its own.

Reaction score
Thanks, I will check into it.

I found another reason that evaportor would be a good cooler if it works. I foudn a perfect spot for it that is out of the way and protected. The size is perfect.