Will this coolant work?

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my radiator, and got a friend to pick up some coolant for me. He couldn't find the Heavy Duty stuff with SCAs, so he got me this:
http://www.prestone.com/enca/node/411

Prestone® Dex-Cool® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant
It says that it has low silicates.

Can I just add a SCA to this, or do I need to look for a different one?

I have had a hard time finding coolant, Prestone is available in the city, but to get the Heavy Duty, you have to really search around. If I can just use what he got me, I will.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
short answer.no.

long answer;
according to prestones faq,that coolant meets the specs of motorcaft orange. "WSS-M97B44-D"
according to internationals studies (ford also agrees of course,in a tsb) no diesel engine pre-'99 iirc,can use a coolant such as this.

try to find some fleetcharge at tractor supply or napa.
http://www.fleetchargeantifreeze.com/fleetchrg_spec.htm

if you prefer prestone,their HD coolant is what your after.
specifically this one only:
Prestone® Heavy Duty Antifreeze/Coolant
http://prestone.com/enca/node/416

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Avoid ANYTHING that says dex-cool like the plague. Nothing but problems with it...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Drop the Dex- Kill and RUN. Do a quick google search on dex cool and class action suits. dex cool and damage, you get the picture. I cannot count the number of engine that I have had to do MAJOR surjury on to clean up the huge mess left by that horrible stuff, and most of them were GM vehicles that SPECIFIED THAT CRAP FROM THE FACTORY. One of it's least damaging aspects is it eats solder. It gets steadily worse from there. Stick with one of teh proven coolants for your engine

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run away from that crap.......... What blows my mind is that is what is in the new 6.7's in the superduties, haven't had any problems yet, time will tell but I think they have made a mistake....

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work at a Radiator and AC shop and I agree. No long life coolants in my or my customers stuff. Especially Dexcool and it's clones such as Prestone.

velacreations

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, Fleetcharge is not available in my area (I am not in the US), so Prestone is all I got, but I will try and find the HD stuff with the SCAs.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EvansCoolant Lifetime coolant, works great for me. solves almost all cooling issues, ya it cost $40 a gallon, yes you dont want to put it in an old dirty engine with an old radiator.

So yes it is not for everyone.

Javier