Will this boost/egt guage work on a IDI??

tximport

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm wondering if this guage will work on our trucks?

http://www.citydiesel.net/superchips-lazer-boost-egt-gauge-p-272.html

Have a local guy who has one for cheap

Here are some installation directions it talks about using a 4 bar map sensor i think they come with an egt probe so I get that but I'm just a bit confused about the 4 bar map sensor

http://www.superchips.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10347

WIRING
RED
BLACK
Connects to Ground.
WHITE
Alarm output, switched to ground, 1 Amp max load.
VIOLET
Connects to 4-Bar pressure sensor Red wire, 5 volts output.
BROWN
Connects to pressure sensor White wire; signal input.
Mini-Thermocouple Connector, 2-Pin Connector
YELLOW
Connects to pressure sensor Black wire; ground.
TC negative wire
TC positive wire
RED/BLK
YEL/BLK
5 Volts in
Pressure signal output
RED
WHITE
4-Bar Map Sensor, 3-Pin Connector
Ground in
BLACK
6-pin Connector
Parts Included:
1 - Gauge
1 - Wiring Harness
1 - Lazer Gauge Software on CD ROM
1 - Serial Adapter Cable
Connects to switched 12 volts (Powered during cranking).

MAP Sensor Installation

Mount the 4-BAR MAP sensor as close as possible to the engine manifold, keeping the distance from the manifold to the sensor under one foot if possible. Connect the pressure sensor wires to the gauge wire harness with the &H splices as indicated in the wiring chart above. Seal the &H splices with heat shrink tubing once the gauge has been checked for proper functionality.
Recommend 3/16" I.D. Vacuum line
1) The rubber hose attached to the sensor should be as short as possible. Attach it in the engine compartment in an area where it will not be subject to excess heat or vibration.

2) Access to the air pressure intake may be obtained between the surge tank and the fuel regulator.

3) Detach the vacuum hose from the surge tank side that has loss pressure oscillations and insert a 3 way connector. Cut the required length of hose to go from the three way to surge tank.

Thermocouple Installation

Installation of the thermocouple (TC) requires drilling and tapping of a 1/8-27 NPT hole into the exhaust manifold or turbo exhaust inlet. Position this so that the tip of the TC can be inserted near the center of the exhaust gas stream. Extreme care must be taken to prevent contamination of the turbocharger inlet with metal chips during the drilling and tapping operation.
With the brass compression fitting installed in the tapped hole in the exhaust manifold or turbo, insert the TC into the fitting to where the tip will protrude near the center of the exhaust gas stream. Tighten the compression fitting on the TC while holding it in the proper position.
Exercise caution to ensure that the shielded TC wires are routed away from all hot exhaust components such as manifolds or turbochargers. Also avoid contact or close proximity to all high voltage plug wires. Secure the wiring with one or more wire ties.
If the thermocouple connector must be removed to route the leads to the gauge location, be sure to reinstall the yellow wire into the positive (+) terminal of the TC connector and the red wire into the negative (-) terminal of the connector. Plug the TC male connector into the female TC connector on the back of the gauge to complete the installation. A Type K extension wire may be used and required in some installations, if the turbo is located far away from the gauge. Do not use copper wire to extend the TC to the gauge.
Caution: Be certain not to short circuit the wires in the connector and never allow gauge wires to be shorted to ground or to battery voltage as this could damage the gauge.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
It would probably work but I prefer a boost gauge with a lower range, like 15-30psi. With a 50psi gauge it will barely read with some turbos. I do like the dual gauges though.

tximport

Reaction score
Yeah thats what i didn't like about it as well.
But if I can make it work I may try it just the same.
Guess if I don't like it I can try to resell it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online