will a 93 7.3 na fit into an 86 with 6.9 na

wrsainio

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a rebuilt 1993 7.3 still in the crate for $3000 cdn about $ 2600 U.S. There is no IP but injectors are there. includes heads and oil pan. My question is.Will my 6.9 manifolds int & Exh fit? Can I use my flywheel or will the balance be different?
I think my starter,WP VP etc will all fit. Would there be any other problems?
There is no warranty on this engine. He bought it from a friend 2 years ago to replace a DI in a 95. This is an IDI.Thanks Wilf.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a rebuilt 1993 7.3 still in the crate for $3000 cdn about $ 2600 U.S. There is no IP but injectors are there. includes heads and oil pan. My question is.Will my 6.9 manifolds int & Exh fit? Can I use my flywheel or will the balance be different?
I think my starter,WP VP etc will all fit. Would there be any other problems?
There is no warranty on this engine. He bought it from a friend 2 years ago to replace a DI in a 95. This is an IDI.Thanks Wilf.

Yes, the parts will swap. They are essentially the same block, with the exception of the head bolts, and other minor things that don't sound like they would matter in your application.

The flywheel balance might be an issue though. While both 6.9 and 7.3 engines have exactly the same part # crank, the flywheels and balancers that are used are different for each engine. 7.3 flywheels and matching harmonic balancer are to only be used on a 7.3, and accordingly 6.9 flywheels and balancers are only to be used on the 6.9. So, supposedly, you cannot use a 6.9 flywheel with a 7.3 balancer, or a 7.3 flywheel on a 6.9 with the 6.9 balancer etc. Now, having said that, there are guys who have swapped them around, and some say with no problems, but others(and Ford) say it is not to be done.
I recently put a 6.9from a standard truck, where a 7.3 auto used to live, but I had to use a new flexplate from a 7.3 (the old one was toast) and I had it balance matched to the 6.9 engine and it's balancer.

It's up to you, but the short answer is yes, the parts will physically swap.

Zigg :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flywheel area is an exceptionally grey area. Ford emphatically states that the flywheels are not interchangeable, yet in 1987 they put a 7.3 flywheel on the 6.9 when sold with the ZF. The Burgermister Misterberger broke his own law.

Ford's actual words.... (from our tech articles)

Flywheel -
IMPORTANT. DO NOT USE 6.9 flywheel or vibration damper on 7.3 or vice versa. If components are intermixed, engine vibration and premature component wear may be encountered. For identification, compare these part numbers.
Vibration damper 6.9 1805414C1
Vibration damper 7.3 1809117C1
Flywheel Auto 6.9 1803219C1
Flywheel Auto 7.3 1809212C1
Flywheel manual 6.9 E7TA-6477-AB
Flywheel manual 7.3 E8TA-6477-AA

wrsainio

Reaction score
So the safe thing would be to get a 7.3 harmonic balancer and flywheel. The rest is straight forward. What about injection pump? I figured since my 6.9 has over 100,000 miles on it since it was done that it is about due and might as well just get the 7.3 version. Thanks Wilf.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most diesel places only want to exchange a like pump for a like pump. In my opionion, either pump family can inject more fuel than you can safely burn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online