Wierd noise! What the heck is it? Help!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my wifes 99 does this crap. if it's below like 50 degree out, it closes the valve, and will not reopen the valve for about a half hour. 2200rpm. 2nd gear. slow. no power. could this be the sensor, or is this an actuator problem. also, mebbe related, the boost peaks at only about 18.5psi. WOT, 10k lbs behind it. warmed up...

its supposed to do that to force the engine to warm up faster.if it bothers you,unplug it.max boost on a psd is 18-20 so your fine.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how am suppose to get a good seal on the two piece down pipe though? there is a clamp on there but i dont think it is doing much good?

band clamp but space it very limited.i have a clamp here fron the IH dealer for our 4 car carrier that im gonna try on myine some day.ill see if i can get a part number

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how am suppose to get a good seal on the two piece down pipe though? there is a clamp on there but i dont think it is doing much good?

I ended up taking a hack saw and slitting three cuts in the pipe so the clamp could get a better crush on the pipe. Mine came apart numerous times before I did this, afterwards it never came apart.

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know its supposed to do that, but it IS supposed to open when you tap brake, clutch, or accelerator... if its below 20 degrees, the truck is undrivable. the valve never opens... and it doesnt help warm it up like that feature on my duramax...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know its supposed to do that, but it IS supposed to open when you tap brake, clutch, or accelerator... if its below 20 degrees, the truck is undrivable. the valve never opens... and it doesnt help warm it up like that feature on my duramax...
No, tapping the accelerator does not return the EBPV to full open. There a several sensors that the PCM reads to tell the EBPV where to be. EOT, IAT, EBS (Engine Oil Temp, Intake Air Temp and Exhaust Back pressure Sensor), so if any of those sensors read out of range the EBPV may activate. Usually it is the EBS screwing with the system but not always. Check the tube running from the passengers side exh manf to the sensor, it might well be plugged.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online