why doesnt my c6 shift itself?

86f2fiddy

Reaction score
I appologize in advance for any spelling/punctuation/grammatical errors, im posting from my phone)

Like it says, with less than full throttle my trans won't shift right. At full throttle, shifts smooth, but firm, into 2nd at 30ish mph and shifts into 3rd at 48ish. Just as firm. It doesn't feel slushy when shifting at full throttle, but it doesn't slam either. It shifts about like it has a shift kit. Now thats all fine and dandy, but the problem is, when taking off around 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it will pull good up to about 20-25mph, then power levels off and it SHOULD shift then, but it doesn't. it winds out until it is almost on the governer and then around 35mph it SLAMS into 2nd, then does the same thing into 3rd around 45-50mph. If you shift into 2nd manually at 20mph and 3rd at 45 it has no issues. But between 35 and 45 mph it will hunt back and forth from 2nd to 3rd unless there is VERY light throttle being applied. the previous owner replaced the modulator valve trying to solve this problem but it still does it after that. i replaced the vacuum lines from the black thing on the side of the IP all the way down to the modulator valve thinking it may have a vacuum leak, still does it. my last guess is the TPS type thing on the side of the pump, but i dont know what its called, how to adjust it, or if its even adjustable... Im not sure what else it could be, i would appreciate any tips and info you have to give. thanks!

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Forgot to tell you how to adjust give me a SEC and I'll find it again

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and there are several different modulators, so yyou may not have a diesel specific one. also check vacuum pump performance.

86f2fiddy

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Wayne. I reckon ill try adjusting it now that i know what way to move it. lol
thanks for the tip on the modulator, typ4. Ill look into that as well.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Low vacuum or no vacuum will result in a shift like you are talking about.

86f2fiddy

Reaction score
Got 'er fixed. The thing on the side of the IP was out of wack. She shifts niiice now.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Thought that's what it was. Couldn't remember how I set it and didn't want to mess up your truck.LOL

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Sorry I'm not use to having to kick stuff so it latches. LOL

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got 'er fixed. The thing on the side of the IP was out of wack. She shifts niiice now.

Did you adjust per instruction or, by feel?
My VRV was bad for a few years > C6 shifted 1st-2nd neck-snapping high and hard...then I replaced VRV and adjusted per manual > but then tinkered with it for feel.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I sent him the instructions. Had them on my phone.

86f2fiddy

Reaction score
hey, that used to be your tailgate, you should have known the trick! lol

i read the instructions that wayne sent me, then realized i didnt have a vacuum gauge handy so i moved it all the way back and went on a drive to fine tune it. Took about 6 times to adjust it before i got it where i liked it.

side note- i wouldnt reccomend driving with it all the way back, mine would be in 3rd gear before 15 mph! and wouldnt downshift itself even with the pedal to the floor.