why does the slave cylinder refuse to stay in place??

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so since the new engine went in, with the south bend clutch, the slave cylinder has come off the side of the transmission twice, the first time it pushed it's guts out so i put a new slave and master on, now two weeks later (exactly to the day actually) the new slave just came off the transmission(didn't push it's guts out thankfully)
why does this keep happening??

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must be damage to the mounting tab on the side of your ZF5 or something screwy with the clip on the slave. Not really something that happens.

Heath

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if a guy could put a small screw or bolt through the clip and tab...

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one of the tabs does look like it has been welded, maybe that has something to do with it?
but it has held the slave just fine for the 3 years that transmission has been in the truck

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the tabs does look like it has been welded, maybe that has something to do with it?
but it has held the slave just fine for the 3 years that transmission has been in the truck
post a pic. chances are the spring clip retainer got bent on it's exit stunt once or twice.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
everyone ive used has a 5/16" hole in it, mine did the same until I drilled the transmission and put a bolt through it.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would post a pic but i am not near the computer(truck and i are at a friends house, he has all the good tools lol) and i have yet to figure out how to post pictures from my phone

the clip does not look bent, looks the same as it did when i put it in, was a new clip two weeks ago when i bought the slave cylinder

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The clip has 2 tabs designed to BITE into the aluminum....they break off and it is hard to see that is the case..juat install it per my tech 101 vid...drill through hole in steel retainer through aluminum and install a bolt...bobs yer uncle n done

JM7.3CW Eh!

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the little tabs are there, but i think i will try drilling a hole to bolt it

where do i find tech 101 vid?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351