Why did my 7.3 not like ether today.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd crack the injectors lines loose at the injectors and crank it instead using ether on a hot engine. It'll fire on a few cylinders and as they start leaking fuel, you can tighten them.

No need to do that one these engines, they will self bleed. The problem is getting the fuel back up from the tank and filling the filter and the pump. Just a lot of cranking. And I really don't want to go to an electric pump, the mechanical one does a good job.

I just need to keep fuel in the tank. 1/4 tank and I had better be looking for a fuel station quick.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just need to keep fuel in the tank. 1/4 tank and I had better be looking for a fuel station quick.
Or you can actually fix the problem... either pull the bed or drop the tank and replace the pickup.
This has the added advantage of you being able to remove the chunks of fuel pickup from the tank

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has the added advantage of you being able to remove the chunks of fuel pickup from the tank

And MAKE SURE YOU DO IT TOO!

If you don't get the chunks out you'll be dropping the tank again to flush the sender and clean out the bits. Been there done that.

Might be less of an issue if you use an actual strainer and not just a piece of rubber hose, but it's still not a chance I'd like to take.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the bed off. I hate do-overs. I will do it, but I am going to have to wait a bit to get the gumption to pull the bed again. Actually I have a hydraulic scissor, I want to make a flat bed dump for it. But no time at the moment.

Doc Niver

Reaction score
propane is a catalyst to get diesel fuel at 100% I run propane injection on all the diesels I've had.
Have not tried to run it without diesel.
As far as starting when you run out a rag soaked in gas is the best way.
Started my e-350 that hadn't run in 5 yrs easily in 5min and hit the 3rd revolution.

VanDiesel

Reaction score
If you think you have to use ether, your system is not in proper repair as designed. If you break off a glow plug tip, you'll be lucky not to damage the piston, bore, or valves, as it rattles around. At the least, you'll have to pull the head to find out if you need another engine.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think you have to use ether, your system is not in proper repair as designed. If you break off a glow plug tip, you'll be lucky not to damage the piston, bore, or valves, as it rattles around. At the least, you'll have to pull the head to find out if you need another engine.

I just use ether as a booster to help when things are not quit right. Like low batteries on a very cold day. And as a troubleshooting tool, to see if the engine will even try to start. I didn't know it was no good on a hot engine like I tried to use it. Now I know. I have noticed even the best diesel mechanics have a can of ether sitting around for those certain times when it's needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86