Who makes the best turbo system

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 79 Bronco with a 1990 7.3 and a C6 trans and 35" tires. Its gets weekend use pulling my camper. I am stuck between ATS and hypermax I think the non waste gated would make a little more power up top? Should I go to a stage 1 injector from someone like dps. I am also getting a bit of blue smoke at idle. The pump was rebuilt about 20000k ago but the injectors are origonal, I think with 220000k

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
That's a loaded question. Kind of like asking what's the best oil. ATS was the original supplier for the Factory IDI's Hypermax is a good unit and Banks has the most complete set up(not sure if they are still in production). Most would go for the wastegated version. Quicker spool up and the PSI can be adjusted. I'd put injectors in it when doing the turbo install. Most are worn out by 150K miles.

You need to post some pictures of the Bronc. sounds like a nice set up. BTW Welcome to OB.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've got an older ats non wastegated. Works fine. If I were to be spending real money on a new system I think the folks at Hypermax would probably be getting my cash.I had to buy a few parts from ATS and was treated like dirt and it took over a month while they continually lied to me , then when it got here, the dang pipe didnt even fit and I had to cuss'ed-em ize it. While I'd like to think that was the exception, unfortunately it appears to be the norm, with acceptable customer service being the exception out of that place.So far I've heard nothing but nice things said about Hypermax.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I think Hypermax would be the best bet, looks like the cleanest install.

By the way forget the turbo for the moment.....post up pics of your rig! Hard to beat the old 79 Bronco's.
You must be registered for see images attach

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i never really looked on mine but when i go to walmart later ill check for ya
but hypermax is the best and they are very helpful
DONT BUY ANY THING FROM DPS YOU PAY FOR IT AND DONT GET IT THERE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS **** and others will say that they have got bad injectors in the mix just stay away from them and save your self a head ache

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
not all IP's are created the same. do a search for "moose pump" if you're looking for balls out performance
oh yea....the only new turbo kit being sold is by Hypermax.

he's rite i have a stock that is maxed out and in 4 gear i hit boost around 1700rpm im guessing looking at my boost gauge and tach at the same time is kinda hard
but what towcat said if you want balls get a moose pump and a hypermax turbo and i think that youll fly

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
temps on pyro when pulling a pretty nice grade unloaded and about 75 mph all the way 13mile hill climb 1100 for a second or 2 and then ill back off to about 65 or so and that gives me about 900

Black Horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hypermax sounds like the way to fly. With the moose pump and a turbo are the stock injectors ok or should I be looking for some upgraded ones?

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
stock injectors should be fine or moose injectors but they cost more than the injection pump i belive
DONT GO WITH DPS INJECTORS sorry to say they are the only cheap modifided injectors out there right now
when u going to post some pics of your bronco i think all of us would love to see it

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hypermax sounds like the way to fly. With the moose pump and a turbo are the stock injectors ok or should I be looking for some upgraded ones?
a new set of stock injectors that have been flow matched will go a long way.
so far, there aren't any injectors that are clearly proven to be better than the others. even the "G" code injectors aren't a clear improvement over others. what has been proven is new injectors that have been matched for spray pattern and pop-off pressure are better than used.

fine6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what has been proven is new injectors that have been matched for spray pattern and pop-off pressure are better than used.

towcat, where can I get a set of these matched injectors?