who here works for cat?

french277

Reaction score
IIRC the 3512 and 3516 are MHUI and the 3600 series is MUI for now but will add electronic verison later.

To add quick tibbit I am sure they did come in EHUI as well on the 3500 series family depending on early or late series.

I do work on varies size generators.

The only med speed duex temps still around is the EMD ( under 1200 RPM class ) everything else is quad temps { four stroke }

And I know one guy on the You Tube did doucmeted the 3512 Main engines at 45000 running hours { non it is not a misprint on this one } but bear with me a moment as soon I find it then I will post it here.

They sound not too bad at all.

but the best quad temp sound is 3612 twin turbo sans muffer now that is a monstor 5200 FHP { flywheel hp }that will really leave a deep rumble sound something that very large gas fired engine CAN NOT match the sound of it.

Merci,Marc

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
45,000 hours does sound impressive.
the 3412 in one of our sister boats has about 12,000 and can barely run.
Apparently the blowby is so bad it screws up the oil viscosity and makes the heui injectors fire really badly.
Basically they need to start the engines ever 12 hours to keep it warm or change the oil ever 250 hours.

sassyrel

Reaction score
45,000 hours does sound impressive.
the 3412 in one of our sister boats has about 12,000 and can barely run.
Apparently the blowby is so bad it screws up the oil viscosity and makes the heui injectors fire really badly.
Basically they need to start the engines ever 12 hours to keep it warm or change the oil ever 250 hours.

Ford had the very same problem--with the powersmokes. some people ran not-so-good oil, the crap would foam, and the power wouldnt hardly run----aeration a huei dont like!!!!! so i pers run nothing but motorcraft 15w40 in mine--dont need any problems!!!!!!

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
i SHOULD work for CAT.....I have their logo permanently tattoo-ed on my right shoulder.....There aint' NOTHIN' like a Caterpillar engine!
Cats are great, IH is great, Cummins is great, Perkins is tolerable, yet different, and Detroit is ok. The others dont make my list.LOL

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I should work for Cat...or at least get paid for advertising for them! I got this 2 years ago at a small tattoo shop up the road from me.

Attachments

• tattoo.jpg
    tattoo.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 4

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my friend works for cummins... the 19litre engines. she worked in the indiania plant, but she put in for the aussie job..shes got it and now is in australia..im a little jealous..

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
Yeah, What he said...

its like detroit in reverse

in detroit speak it would be a 16V35 for a 3516...

I work on a lot of land based Caterpillar equipment, mostly the older stuff
the D342's and D353's etc. I am also very familiar with the truck series engines
and the later model C-series both on and off highway.

The Detroit quote above is inaccurate. A 16V35 (no such creature) would be a 560cu in engine, it would be 16 cylinders with 35 cu in displacement per cylinder.
Whereas the 16V149 would be a 2384cu in engine.

The standard 3516 CAT is a 69L (4210cu in) rated at 2200bhp @1800rpm and consumes 113gal per hour at full tilt.

A more comparable engine would be the C-32 Accert, but I am betting the CAT engine is going to feel different at the helm due to the difference in power at similar rpm.

I am sorry some of you have had such trouble with a particular dealership, but I wouldn't write off CAT as a whole because of it.
I have personally dealt with CAT dealers all across the U.S. and one in Canada and no doubt some are better than others.
I have found the best service comes from two dealer ships in a bordering competing territory, they will undercut each other to death.

Good luck with your new less maintenance engines!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online