New here, looking for a truck

JFortner5

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just joined here after looking through some posts. I recently sold an 03 GMC 1/2 ton that I was using for a daily. It was time for something a little newer for DD duty and I did not want to pay the price for a newer used truck. I ended up buying a car to drive back and forth to work and I really enjoy it so far. I can’t go without a truck and I decided I’d buy an older one to use for towing and hauling, and to give myself something to tinker around with. I’ve always wanted to have a daily driver and a spare and I have the opportunity now.

I’m not brand loyal so I’ve been looking at all kinds of stuff. I’d like to stay in the $3k ballpark. Ive been looking at all kinds of trucks, mostly 1/2 tons. I started thinking though that I’d rather get something I won’t outgrow. We have been talking about getting a camper in the future. I don’t think anything we would get would gross over 5-6k. I’d also like to be able to tow a car comfortably. With that said I’ve shifted my focus to 3/4 ton trucks. I’ve noticed several trucks within my budget that have the Ford IDI engines and in doing my research I came across this forum. Would one of these trucks be good for someone who is mechanically inclined to learn on? I’ve messed with gas engines for a while and feel pretty confident, but I’ve never owned a diesel. I do like the idea of these being mechanical engines and having cheaper parts (comparatively) than the newer DI engines. I know I could probably go buy a gasser and do what I’d need to do, but I’ve always been interested in seeing what the diesels are all about.

Joey

Ferdy Mint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. We've found a couple Ford diesels for less than $1k, bought them for parts but they started up so we decided to fix them.

Here's one. It just takes time, patience, a good car hauler trailer, and cash ready to go. I got this one for $771, the tires and fan belts are rotten but the 6.9 still has paint on it everywhere. Fired up after pulling it for 50 feet.

Don't be shy about asking if you see an old truck in a field.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: