Who has put an idi in a 92-96 bronco?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Sorry. Mine was an '86. The frame was fine. I was worried about the bearings so I put 3/4 ton axles and suspension under it. If I'd have known that the Bronco stuff would have held up, I for sure would have left it under there!

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin(of R&D fame) built one too, but he basically shortened a F-250 and put the bronco cab on it, IIRC. So, it had 8-lug wheels and heavy-duty suspension.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pictures of Justin's bronco show 5 lug rims irrc but I'm sure the suspension at least in the front will need leveled after the idi is much heavier than a small block or straight6

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
The bronco bearings and ball joints and axle shafts are the same as what's in my 88 f250 diesel, it has a d44hd which just means 8 lug 44

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to take my f350's parts and use them on my bronco diesel/5speed axles and suspension but just don't have the time yet lol 87 bronco with no rust or dents xlt and good interior but 302 and auto just isn't the same

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
They look good on f350 suspension

Sharp Bronco Crawler. I have a soft spot for 8 lug broncos. Mine has a mutt of front end, but I made'r 8 lug. I should have made it a diesel but the 460 is a whole lot of fun.

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea it's a shame that one had an iffy frame. From tcase back it was thin. Ended up tearing it back apart

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a 6.9 C6 in my 88 EB bronco. it actually felt very well balanced on the road. it sure got a lot of looks filling with fuel, I just told everybody it was a rare model :moon:
I did change the 8.8 out for a 9" shorty after I got it finished. it ran on 31" Michelins on 8" wide eagle alloys, had tire clearance on the front. I never offroaded it but did pull a heavy flatbed trailer and other stuff behind it and never had frame issues. 9" was no problems at all for road use.
I didn't winter drive it, just used the 4wd for slippery surfaces trailer towing at low speed.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One other thing to remember, I know it's not a Bronco, but Mathias and Mel put a 6.9 in an OBS Stepside Shortbed F-150 and I don't recall them changing anything in the stock drive train except the engine and transmission..... They did put an IDI radiator in it with a cradle mod.....

Look up the Night Moose build thread........ that truck got like 31 MPG on the way to a rally.......