Which injectors? 1989 7.3 IDI Na.

mufflerbearing

Oil can
Reaction score
I just did an engine swap from 84/6.9 to 89/7.3 NA. IDI. Questions are #1 [should I get "BB" Code Injectors or something else?] Question #2[ What is so special about "BB" injectors? spray pattern or Nozzel Opening Pressure or what? ] guy told me that #8 cyl had a different code like a "B" Injector in it factory to keep it from Knocking on COLD start up. That same guy can get STOCK injectors for me at $47.50 .ea O'reily auto parts sells Borg and Warner Injectors for $34.99 ea. but I don't know what "Code" they are. I'm heading for 22 MPG, and I'm starting with good injectors. And LATER I want to turbo it with a used 7.3powerStroke turbo. I have an air to air intercooler off a semi that I'll cut down to size and use,But I'll do that later. Thanks in advance for your thoughts:D

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Delphi in my truck IF I bought them here at local part store would of been over $60.00 each I got them off rockautoparts.com for around $30.00 each. They have worked fine for me. Lot of guys recommend replacing the injector pump with injectors. I didn't do that but wished I did. I have to re time my IP it's on the retarded side now. I can tell at take off.

There are some web sites that have refurbish injectors: R&D IDI Performance.com is one lot of guys on FTE always talk about it.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BB code Injectors are the way to go they give better mileage and power, I believe the only new injectors you can get is the BB code and G code (turbo/emissons), although I believe you can find some shops with d,b, a codes. When purchasing injectors you should contact type4 (for west coast), agnem (east coast), because they will sell you a set of injectors that will be pop pressure matched.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
as for number 8 being different code. that's wrong. on the IDI all are the same. now on 7.3 strokers, yes number 8 is different from the rest normally.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All the injectors in any idi needs to ber the same codes. If not its like running different heat range spark plugs in gassers. Now every factory bored id engine had number 7 & 8 cylinder bored slightly larger for the extra heat from the oil that was always migrating to the back cylinders. The oil in the intakes is from the cdr dumping to the intake. The oil is burned as fuel because these engines will run on 100% motor oil as fuel. Do we bore these cylinders larger on any over bore during rebuilds.. Nope. The larger cylinders are less than 1/2 of a thousands.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with Mel at Conestoga diesel...those injectors from the Irish parts house don't last as long....I see your not far from me in bama....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online