Which Dana 70 ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beginner's question I know ---, which rear axle does my truck have; 1985 2WD F-350 Diesel 4-speed DRW cab-n-chassis limited-slip Dana 70; is it a 70HD or a 70-2U ?

I see this all the time when I search for parts; I click off all of my particulars and still get results for both.

I am thinking it is Dana 70HD, but am not 100% certain.

Thanks.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
reading about them, all the d70 axles, (d70,d70u,d70HD) all use the same outer parts. all the variances are inside the carrier. so unless your doing a gear swap or inner bearings, no need to worry

the d70U has a smooth bottom.

ALL dana axles have the size cast into one of the webs on the center section. check and see what it says.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
reading about them, all the d70 axles, (d70,d70u,d70HD) all use the same outer parts. all the variances are inside the carrier. so unless your doing a gear swap or inner bearings, no need to worry

ALL dana axles have the size cast into one of the webs on the center section.

Thanks; I will look for that size marking the next time I am under there.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a Dana 70U. Only difference is smaller pinion bearing and probably the 32 spline shafts. Pinion offset is probably 5/8" (which is good, more gearing options)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take pics of your axle especially the underside...if it is smooth bottom its a 70U but seeing its cab chassis it likely is hd

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take pics of your axle especially the underside...if it is smooth bottom its a 70U but seeing its cab chassis it likely is hd
Oops I missed to the cab and chassis part. You may very will be right.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk