Where to store a car hauler trailer in the city? Pros and cons of ownership...

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, in a few weeks Ill be doing my big move from Tucson to Oak city, and am looking into trailers. I figure the options are...

To rent a uhaul 12x6, pull it with my truck and have the girlfriend drive her car, still at some point having to rent ANOTHER trailer to come back for my car

or

Buy a big boy utility trailer (around 18 foot) and throw her car, AND my tool box on it, along with whatever else fits.(those are the big items, her car is a tiny BMW 318 and my toolbox is a giant loaded snap on that has to weigh in at about 3/4 ton loaded im guessing. No i cant sell the toolbox, without the toolbox I will have no job LOL)
Im considering a trailer like this

http://sierravista.craigslist.org/for/3566110989.html

last time I moved from CT to AZ (little further I know...) it cost me about $2500 to ship my car, ship my toolbox, and buy a plane ticket.(company only gave me 4 days to get out here...) This time if im going to be spending that kind of money I figure I might as well be getting a trailer out of it.

When i first move there i will almost diffidently end up in an appt, wondering where anyone who lives in one stores there similar trailer? Also considering just buying the trailer, using it for the move and maybe one more trip in a few weeks, then selling it off ($2000 seems like a pretty good price)

Anyone have any input about storing a trailer in the city, or whether I should just fork over the money for rentals and avoid a big headache? Let me know, thanks!

crewd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I understand, you have to move two cars, a toolbox and misc house stuff? Where is Oak City? I am guessing Utah?

I don't think most apartments will let you store a trailer without a prior agreement. You could store outside at a storage place, which I would imagine is cheaper than a single storage unit (~$100/mo). I would not mess with a trailer, just rent one from uhaul. Maybe look into a shipping quote from UShip, ship both cars and make the road trip together. Or have your girfriend take you back to pick up your car?

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah one car needs to be moved for sure, the toolbox for sure, and the other car maybe, depends on if it sells or not. Im starting to think the same thing, if these places are charging me $90 a month to store my new trailer It wont be worth it. hmm

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes camper dealers have cheap rates on outside storage. Might be a place to check. Also what about renting/buying a big enough trailer to put most of your stuff, 1 car and toolbox on and have here drive the other car?

I love having my car trailer, but I also live on an acreage where I have plenty of room to store it. Might be less hassle to just rent a trailer and call it good. You could fly out for the 2nd car if needed also. Good luck on the move.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
IMHO first thing to do before buying a trailer is find a place to store it, be it your own property, a friends, the street or a storage lot. If you havnt found that yet then dont bother with the trailer.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryder box truck, or Uhaul box truck, with a car haul trailer on the back... = One car, and a boat load of "stuff in the box truck. Fuel milage will suck but you will make the move in one pass.

Your truck with another car haul trailer behind it with car #2 on it. Girlfriend driving that rig [I'm guessing she can drive a truck and trailer??? ] That moves 2 cars, one truck, and a boat load of tools and household junk.

IF it floats, flys or F*((* 's rent it. When you are done, give it back. No storage fees ever. Would be my choice. If the girlfriend don't drive the truck with a car trailer loaded, find a friend who will and can.. pay him and give him a plane ticket home when you get there.. [or a bus ticket].

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance