Where to get rod & main bearings?

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for rod and main bearings.. All I could find are KING and EngineTech and I will not settle for such cheap product..

Does anyone know where to get Clevite or Sealed Power bearings? I've looked everywhere but no luck..

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They still take the same size bearings, unless the crank has been ground undersize. The rod difference is one is powered metal, the other is forged steel.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
They still take the same size bearings, unless the crank has been ground undersize. The rod difference is one is powered metal, the other is forged steel.

Turbo rods have larger diameter wrist pins but the bearing journals are the same as other IDIs. Where they are beefier is the web around the bearings. Much more material.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What makes you think King is a cheap bearing? Many people use them with great success and claim they are among the best.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is my question too about King bearings being cheap stuff. Typ4 knows of a great aftermarket bearing that he uses and works fine. Might pm him and ask. BTW every idi has the same rods and main bearings no matter na or turbo. Bill I believe only the powerstrokes had the forged or powdered metal rods. I have bever heard of any idi rod being powdered metal. Some interesting information about the powerstroke rods. They are around 130 thousands wider on the big end but they have the same length and take the same bearing width that our idi does. Not sure if you can run a powerstroke bearing in our idi engines. I'm thinking the bearing would be about 130 thousands wider on the big end and the anti rotation groove will be out of alignment..

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew damn well I should have went on to explane the rod difference's, didn't think it would really matter to him, thought he was more interested in the crank bearing size. Now he has all the info on rod difference's, but it don't mean crap to him, cause he ain't gonna change them anyhow.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for rod and main bearings.. All I could find are KING and EngineTech and I will not settle for such cheap product..

Does anyone know where to get Clevite or Sealed Power bearings? I've looked everywhere but no luck..

What I'm not understanding here is, where are you getting your information about cheap and so forth, there is a difference between cheaply made and cheaply priced.

Who said those bearings are bad?

Bill,

Powdered metal rods showed up in the stroke engine as I recall, the turbo IDI is still a forged rod with a larger piston pin diameter only.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have a used set of 10 under if you want them. they have 5200 miles on them.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a used set of 10 under if you want them. they have 5200 miles on them.
Hey he can scotch brite them and then use em...polish off any wear marks;Poke run some staight 50W oil and be golden eh :rotflmao

couldn't resist...

Seriously new bearings only way to go!

JosieGallows

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I'm not understanding here is, where are you getting your information about cheap and so forth, there is a difference between cheaply made and cheaply priced.

Who said those bearings are bad?

Bill,

Powdered metal rods showed up in the stroke engine as I recall, the turbo IDI is still a forged rod with a larger piston pin diameter only.

The machine shop that is sleeving my block told me KING bearings are junk and go for Clevite or Sealed Power. I am considering new turbo pistons (all 8), just came across some cash. Might have the bearings coated with a Ceramic coating.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Hey he can scotch brite them and then use em...polish off any wear marks;Poke run some staight 50W oil and be golden eh :rotflmao

couldn't resist...

Seriously new bearings only way to go!

Lol. I agree with your ****** reference for this one.
I can see reusing old ones from that engine. (Obviously if they're good)
But not from a different engine. I would think the wear pattern wouldn't match the new engine.
I could be wrong, but idk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As far as my bearings that are 10 under matching his crank all I can say is my crank was ground true and the cylinders were bored true as was the crank main bearing webs. So any wear on these bearings I have will be true across the bearing. I was kidding about using them too...:rolleyes: I removed them because my engine ran so hot when a freeze plug poped out O felt I could not take a chance damage was done. That engine quit running the pistons got so big they scuffed in the bores and stopped the rotation of the crank... Hot engine for sure. I saw the oil temp pass 330 degrees too