Where to get injector copper washers in-store?

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did a compression test today and everything was going great until I got to #7, suddenly I had 10PSI. Looking closer, the injector was spurting diesel out of the injector threads so I took it out and there’s no copper washer. Hopefully that’s the issue and I can get compression back (fingers crossed, every other cylinder is on good condition). Truck ran great besides startup smoke

Do any auto parts stores carry these washers? I’ve looked through the websites of the big 4 suppliers and have had no luck

Thanks
CL

Compression numbers for the other cylinders:

Truck compression test - 10 cycles - cold engine 80*f day

1 - 370

2 - 360 - 370

3 - 460

4 - 450

5 - 350

6 - 400

7 - 30

8 - 340

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Last edited:

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
That is a pretty big spread 340 to 460. What brand of guage did you use? High mileage engine? Ford did not state what is good or bad compression just that all cylinders are within 20%. Figure that would look like between 460-370.

You mention you did 10 compression strokes on each one. So wondering if the guage is a little inconsistent.

You could call one of the shops who rebuilds injectors and ask to buy a few. But if you need something ASAP then buying the return line kit or injector will be your answer. You auto parts store should be able to get same day or next day.

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have little faith in the tester, it’s the expensive harbor freight one (Maddox brand) First one stripped threads on me and the second one has a questionable gauge so +/- 5-10 psi of inaccuracy wouldn't surprise me. I was mainly looking to see if a dead cylinder was causing my startup smoke.

Engine is unknown mileage, it was pulled from the shell of a truck that had been sitting in a field for 15+ years so anything even close to “good” is great news to me.

I’ve got some injectors showing up hopefully next week so I’ll wait until then unless I can find a diesel shop with the washers

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Part of the beauty of a idi is if it has some compression and seems to run you can run it. I was just curious as your results where a little surprising. Figured it was likely high mileage but also wondered if the guage was accurate.

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured it was likely high mileage but also wondered if the guage was accurate.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here’s the video of cylinder #5, as you can see the gauge is very bouncy as loses pressure on the first few cycles. If you’re looking for anything more accurate than “yes there’s pressure” I’d go with a different tool or at minimum replace the gauge, the hoses and adapters are pretty nice.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing. To your point the guage should not loose pressure.

As you mentioned to simply test for compression, it works for that. They sell a OTC guage on Amazon that is decent and can be used with your adaptor set should you decided to upgrade down the road.

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a used copper washer and got 30PSI on cylinder 7 again, around 15 cycles this time.

Would a truck with a cylinder this dead still run well and sound good? I towed an Audi last month and besides the smoke on startup it ran and sounded amazing

I’m going to install my new injectors when they come and take the truck to a shop and have them verify that it is 30 PSI.

Could it be the valves aren’t closing and allowing pressure to build?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would a truck with a cylinder this dead still run well and sound good?

You might be surprised depending on how well it pulled. I drove about 2000mi with a trailer on 7 cylinders. Cylinder 8 had a completely shot injector. It was doggy, but not crazy bad.

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washers should be available from McMaster Carr... next day delivery is pretty convenient. Best part is you will probably find a 50 pack for cheap - never have to look for them again!
Can someone provide the washer dimensions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online