Where to find info on air conditioning install?

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got what I think is every part needed for a/c off of a parts truck, but I can't really find any info on adding a/c to the truck when it didn't come with it.

Do the Haynes manuals have details about how the system works? Haven't picked up a copy of my own yet. The main things I am worried about are wiring/vacuums and what sort of modifications need to be made under the dash. Has anyone done this swap before? I haven't been able to turn up much with google

Thanks,
CL

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added factory air to an 81 bronco. I pulled everything out of an 86 pick up. I got the evaporator box, (inside and outside) compressor, evaporator, condenser, hoses, brackets, control panel, dash wiring harness, dash bezel for vents and in dash tubing. I did have to cut the firewall for the ac box. I cut out a cardboard template off the truck and transferred to the bronco. It looked like it came from the factory when I finished. I think I did use a Haynes manual for reference. I can’t remember if ac and non ac use the same heater core.

ComatoseLlama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1989 f350

Found this video which is very helpful, its essentially the whole process

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Reggie f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a 92 or newer it is a bolt on. Some wiring is already on the truck. Edit, answered too slow

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like 134 conversion then. When I converted my 93 it gave me fits until I tried a variable orifice tube, from then on it worked great.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
86-dwn trucks need to have holes cut in the firewall. It's a big job on those, which is why they had "dealer air" back then which was a dealer retro-fit for the early trucks to make it easier.

The 1986-dwn trucks had the heater core under the hood for a non-a/c truck and the heater core was behind the glove box for the factory a/c trucks. A lot of differences in those two systems. Around 87 they went ahead and left the heater core in the same position for both A/C and non A/C trucks.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like 134 conversion then. When I converted my 93 it gave me fits until I tried a variable orifice tube, from then on it worked great.
I have never had any luck with those variable tubes. I usually put in a tube with a smaller orifice. The different colors mean different sizes. I like the Orange one. Works great here in the desert.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online