where to buy lifters?

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you buy your lifters? Rockauto has AC Delco lifters for 35$ each which seems really steep. Fleabay has a set of 16 Enginetech lifters for $151.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ebay has them listed all the time. The same lifter we use is found in the 94 to 200 psd engines and the hummer engines along with the GM 6.2 and 6.5 engines. Just need to search for them under differant names. Figure around $150.00 is about as low as they go. Not $560.00 like you posted. Why are you needing a set. They really don't go bad because they are roller lifters with needle bearing rollers ..

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well perhaps that's good news. I was told to just go ahead and replace them with the cam as they're wearable? I guess i'll just plan on giving them an inspection and using the ones which look good.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please pm typ4 aka Russ and ask about replacing only some of the lifters. My advise is doing that for the person that knows what to look for when checking the lifters. They really are not much of a wear item like they are in a sbc non roller cam lifter. We have nothing rubbing or dragging on the cam lobes. It a needle bearing supported roller that simply rolls on the cam lobe.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I researched this some and asked Type4 (i just installed his cam), and the general consensus is that you don't really need to unless you suspect a problem with them. Just put them back in the same hole they came out of.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autozone. ;Really cookoo

They have Melling lifters for something like $12 each I think. Have to order online but still....

Surprisingly, they're actually a pretty decent source for some parts - look at the online site and every now and then they'll have good quality parts for a pretty decent price listed. Same thing with Kragen.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked, Autozone is $15 for lifters. Rockauto has some for $7.50 though.

Also a good course for rocker arms - Autozone has them for $15 each (one cylinder) vs $35 from rockauto. Sealed power or Melling for both.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please ask about the type of bearing in the roller lifters. At one time they had a bushing bearing in them and now they have the needle bearing ... The bushing type bearing was thought to freeze up and flatten the cam lobes.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point. The Melling lifter I got were needle bearing. My bet would be that pretty much anything you find nowadays would have the needle bearings. I think the brass bushings were only the very first production engines.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have a complete new set of the bushing type roller lifters and they have the same part number on the box as the other needle bearing roller lifters have. Funny how that works. Both are Melling lifters too but one is needle and the other is bushing bearing.cookoo:dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online