Where is this water coming from??

DiecellDan

Reaction score
Ok so long story short. Last sat my engine started overheating. It was at night so I thought it was the water pump. Swapped out water pump , oem thermostat and fan clutch. Fired her up and found out I'm leaking water from area of the top of the bottom radiator water hose. What can this be? Do idi have freeze plugs?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes idi's and all engines, well not a Briggs and Stratton, have freeze plugs. There is a gasket on the lower rad hose inlet on the block looks like a good spot to start looking.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the lower rad hose connector(cast piece) off; clean off old gasket and replace with new gasket.
More than likely, that's your problem, and you should be able to see better with it off. Two bolts hold it in place IIRC, but you'll probably have to remove/loosen a few things like the PS pump.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Honestly that looks like the "water" is squirting up from the oil cooler flange below the bottom radiator hose flange to the block. Sad part is you will have to remove the oil cooler to get to the flange if in fact that is whats leaking. but from the vid I think its the front oil cooler header. Hope it will be an easy fix but not looking that way from this side of the computer.

DiecellDan

Reaction score
Thank you all. Looks like I got some work ahead of me

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is another possibility. Pause the video right at 0:22 and you will see what looks like a vertical curtain of water coming out from behind the steel plate timing cover. Anyone else see that?

I have a hunch that this might have been the leak all along. Replacing the water pump may have simply disturbed the timing cover gasket enough for it to make things worse.

My guess is the large, lower driver's side port has a gasket failure. Hopefully it only leaked out, and not into the engine oil.

The 1st photo shows the timing cover still in place, but the suspect water pump port is visible:

You must be registered for see images attach

The 2nd photo shows the cover removed:

You must be registered for see images attach

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is another possibility. Pause the video right at 0:22 and you will see what looks like a vertical curtain of water coming out from behind the steel plate timing cover. Anyone else see that?

I have a hunch that this might have been the leak all along. Replacing the water pump may have simply disturbed the timing cover gasket enough for it to make things worse.

My guess is the large, lower driver's side port has a gasket failure. Hopefully it only leaked out, and not into the engine oil.

The 1st photo shows the timing cover still in place, but the suspect water pump port is visible:

I'm thinking front plate seal too, but I'd first replace the lower rad hose gasket first.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Right at 35 seconds I feel like I see it coming between that area as well. Good catch!

DiecellDan

Reaction score
@david85 thanks man.

So, when I replaced the water pump, everything was fine. No leaks at all. My dad stayed with the truck while it was on while I went to go buy coolant. I came back approximately 20 min later, everything was perfect. It wasn't until i placed the rad cap back on and took it for a 3 min test drive when I smelled coolant. I came back home and noticed the leak. That's when I recorded the video.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online