Wheel bearing tightness?

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tightened them up snug to seat them backed off then finger tightened them and spun the wheel. But I could still feel a slight wobble in the wheel so I used some channel locks and turned the nut a tiny bit at a time until I could feel no play. The wheel spins free and I couldn't feel any extra heat after a 15 mile high speed drive. So is the tightness about right or should it have a small amount of play in the wheel

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you’re talking about the front, that sounds correct. The only thing I would add is I like to roll the tire a couple times while it’s snug just to make sure it feels smooth. Tight but smooth, then back it off.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I'm talking about the front. Spinning the tire it feels real smooth. Hard to tell weather it's the brakes dragging but it spins fairly freely

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
You could always use a small prybar or screw driver to compress the caliper and spread the pads a little to eliminate it as an option

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Assuming you’re talking about the front, that sounds correct. The only thing I would add is I like to roll the tire a couple times while it’s snug just to make sure it feels smooth. Tight but smooth, then back it off.
Ditto!

I go tight, spin 3-5 revolutions, then back off. I want to make sure the grease is pushed out and I do not end up with loose bearings once the grease is pushed out between the bearing and the races.

Also always use high temp grease on the front wheel bearings as the brakes will heat up the rotor and wheel bearings.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, i dont know if iv done something wrong or if its just a new noise that has popped up. There is a loud banging/popping sound coming from the side i put the new wheel bearing on. there also is like a high pitch tinging sound. It doesnt do it at slow speed unless you hit a bump and its real bad past 25mph and is the worst when hitting a bump of anykind.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I jacked it up and turned that wheel and nothing, no unusual noise, spins free and smooth, theres a very small amount of play if i forcefully move the tire but thats it. The noise is very concerning and it sounds like the whole truck is just going to fall apart

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I hate to ask.... But did you press the cups in all the way? Or did you not replace them?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Daniel,

Lets back up and get the whole story.

1) Why did you replace the wheel bearing in the first place?
2) Is your truck 2wd or 4wd?
3) Did you take the caliper off?
4) Did you take the hub and rotor off?
5) Did you change both inner and outer bearings?
6) Did you change the bearing races too?
7) Did you remember the axle nut washer, retainer and keeper?

Lets start there and see what work you did. The. We can get into what might be the issue/issues.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. I replaced the wheel bearing as i was hearing and feeling some major rubbing/grinding and sure enough the inner bearing was seized
2. Truck is 2wd
3/4. caliper and rotor came off its the only way to replace the bearings.
5. I replaced the inner and outer bearings on the driver side.
6. Yes i replaced the races and made sure they were fully seated.
7. indeed the washer retainer and key are all there.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im starting to think about just trying to get rid of the TTB and go to a solid axle. since i bought the truck the front end has made so many crazy noises and the uneven tire wear is so bad one side is basically brand new while the other side is totally bald. the passanger side is a little worse for that than the driver side.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Ok so it sounds like you did it right.

Are your sure the other side is not smoked too?

Do your brake pads stick out past your rotor? I have heard some folks putting on pads that stick out beyond the rotor.

Does the rotor look like it has bluing from perhaps the caliper sticking on after braking And heating up?

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake pads are even with the rotor theres no excessive heat or drag. im actually supprised at how little drag there is