What's tuning options are available for the 7.3?

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for tuning options for my '95 7.3 Powerstroke. I'm not interested in buying someone else's tune right now, but tuning myelf. I've been running WMO in an old Mercedes and I've graduated to this truck. I need to be able to advance the timing for WMO and I want to take it a step at a time until I creep into it.

I've used Moates products with TunerPro for several years and I've been very happy with that. I think the Quarterhorse is supposed to work with these? I've also seen options by SCT, but I think they weren't really valid until the 6.0 and later, right? If I wanted to go with the SCT, could I use an ECU and IDU from a 6.0 and put them on my 7.3 with a retune? We do stuff like that with gasoline cars all the time.

I also think I saw another option that advertised using preset tunes as well as your own tunes, but I can't find the link any more. It might have been SCT, but the website looked different than that. It might also have been for the 6.0.

Anyway, what's available?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can't tell you exactly who all has it. I know power hungry has some.
But be for warned, the stuff to tune it yourself can double if not triple the price of just buying custom tunes.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Like said, PHP sells the software to do it yourself. I have not heard of anybody using any of the generic ECM tuners (like you have listed).

http://store.gopowerhungry.com/tuning-software/124-minotaur-standard-edition.html

Sniper tuning is cheaper, but it is limited in what you can do (some of the higher end modifications cant be supported). But if your only looking to adjust timing and not any serious modifications (beyond basic injectors/turbo upgrades), then this might work better for you.

http://tunertools.com/sniper!!!-special-forces-tuning-kit-!!-ford-powerstroke-diesel.html

Last edited:

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, FordGuy. The Sniper is exactly what I had remembered seeing, but couldn't find again. The Minotaur is about double what the Sniper costs. I'd pay the $350.00, but that listing is only for the 1997 and up. Mine's a 1995. I've sent them an email to see if they have something available for my truck.

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could be true and I will be happy to entertain that idea if it is. In fact, I think all of the PCMs were similar enough that I could flash '97 code to my '95 if that's the case. I'm not sure, though, of when split-shot injectors came into play. I have single shots if I'm correct and a set of injectors is pricey!

paramax55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could be true and I will be happy to entertain that idea if it is. In fact, I think all of the PCMs were similar enough that I could flash '97 code to my '95 if that's the case. I'm not sure, though, of when split-shot injectors came into play. I have single shots if I'm correct and a set of injectors is pricey!