Whats the cheaper rout, zf or nv4500, or ranger overdrive?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same can be said for the US gear O/D, it can be used in either range from a stop unlike a GV. If you have a close ratio T-19, you can't split 3rd. The 3rd gear ratio is so close to direct, 3rd over is basically direct. If you want to split all gears and have it meaningful, get a wide ratio T-19 with the deep 1st and you'll have a pullin machine;Sweet
Travis..

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a deep first gear, get a T-18 out of a ford gasser. Crash 86 has this with a GV and its a badass setup. first gear in 2hi feels like mine in 4lo.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The same can be said for the US gear O/D, it can be used in either range from a stop unlike a GV.
What he said.

With that said, IMHO the ideal setup would be a ZF and a U.S. Gear OD...this will give you 10 forward gears (either in 4x2 or 4x4) with a double overdrive. OTOH, your application may be different....I spend a lot of time on the freeway on flat ground, so I want to get my cruising RPM's down as much as I can...hoewver, I also want the pulling power of my 4.10's, which is the only reason I haven't swapped to 3.54's...

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
Well, I dont really need 10 or more gears, initially I was looking for that road gear for on the highway. Hear in southwestern Pa theres a lot of hills and I need a good setup for pullin them. Like I said the ranger overdrive looks very appealing for my aplication, having an extra gear between the ones I have would be great. And the price lookes pretty good to.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you decide to do it and it works, I will probably be swapping my T19 back in, selling the ZF and buying a ranger overdrive. I think it would be pretty cool