What was the gimmick behind this air cleaner lid?

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this at the junkyard on a 6.9. What was this thing supposed to do aside from look expensive, and allow water into the motor?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i has a bigger re-usable element in it. i have the whole Banks Stinger kit on my CC, it also comes with a manifolds-back exhaust system that flows better than stock (Y-pipe is actually a "Y" instead of a "T") and a pyrometer.

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
I have one (not a banks) I took it off in favor of a stock one with no soup bowl...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Banks lid you have flows better than the stock one. At least according to the data Banks published back in the 80's. I had one and felt a few seat of the pants HP after installing it. That lid is worth about $75 to the right person.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Put a rubber washer under the bolt head though. If your cowl to hood seal is bad, that cleaner lid will collect water!

I had one on my truck (went to 160k87F250 me thinks) before the turbo.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I had one on my truck (went to 160k87F250 me thinks) before the turbo.

Yup, I got it now. New rubber under the bolt. No water problems. Just buying time with it until the turbo goes on. (been saying that for a while!)
John

masterbeavis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUT, I only have der Banks.... Wait till I upload pics of what was in my fuel tanks......... its a beauty. I feel stupid right now (for a few reasons......)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ummmmm.....
if you have a hypermax setup, that lid "might" give the turbo a little more breathing.

It will, but then your engine compartment will need more breathing room. That is how I ended up with the fiberglass hood. The stock hood won't close with the big lid in the position that the Hypermax kit puts it in. Dumb thing was, I got the hood, then came up wth the Moose Air, so I wouldn't have needed the hood.

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
mine fit under the hood with a hypermax turbo got to find the pic....