what to use to measure viscosity of wmo/diesel

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to measure the thickness/viscosity of my wmo after filtering. I use multiple weights of oil from 20w50-hydro-synthetic trans and oil and it's all mixed together. Just want to get it close to diesel fuel as I can.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zahn cup, or a homemade version of one. We used them in a printing plant to measure coating viscosity. It was round cylinder with a spherical bottom and a hole dead center to the bottom, held maybe 2 or three ounces. We would use a stopwatch and time the flow at a certain temperature to reach the required viscosity.

Take a 20 pop bottle drill a 1/8th hole in the lid, fill bottle with diesel, and time it to empty, be sure to poke a breather hole in the bottom of the bottle. I plan on doing the same thing so i can come up with a perfect winter and summer viscosity that I can shoot for. Be sure to find an easily obtainable temperature to make such measurements at. 75 degrees might be hard to get down to in hot summer, but is easily reachable with a little heat in winter. Or forget the temperature and shoot for the same drip time winter or summer and you'll know what will reliably flow at those temperatures which would be a better way to do it due to viscosity modifiers in lots of oil that make viscosity/temp react extremely non linear to temperature changes.

blaz4wd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you I found something like that online. I tried using a hydrometer ?? I think that's what it's called. I used it last year at work when we made salt brine for the roads/sidewalks. But that was for 23% salinity. All that meter did was sink to the bottom. Thought I could use one of them but on a different scale.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A hydrometer is not even poorly suited, it measures a function of solution. For example, they are used in beekeeping to know what the moisture content is in honey. Same for antifreeze, they measure the ratio of glycol to water. really all a hydrometer is, is a density meter than is calibrated to your particular working fluid. They need to be built for what their purpose is, IE a honey hydrometer will not function trying to measure alcohol content. Viscosity rarely being a function of density, it would be ill suited trying to use one to divulge the properties you are looking for.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you make one, you might wanna go with a hole more like 3/16 or even 1/4 while D2 is gonna flow fairly fast you may find that oil won't, and it may be pretty hard approaching the same viscosity, or "centistrokes" thats A term I could never come to "terms" with

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online