What to do with a "spare" 6.9L block?

Naz4x4

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1984 F-250 that came with about 1500lb worth of spare parts including a second block (minus the heads). Some of it I'm keeping but I really don't have the space to store the block and no good way of handling this monster. Any ideas on how to get it into the hands of someone who'll have a use for it. I'll be putting it up on Craigslist and perhaps the marketplace here but does anyone know of any engine re-builders in AZ that still build these IDI motors? Any other ideas?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coffee table, desk, door stop. Patio table maybe a cool fire pit?? Have flames out all 8 hole ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Best place is this site because there are many like minded members here. The market place it a great idea. Best to list evey piece like is this a "short block". That means it has the cam, rods, cranks and pistons still in the block. Or is it a bare block. Most inportant thing is the block serial numbers. Those are found on the top drivers side front of the engine just to the right of the injection pump gear cover. It will start with the block displacement like 6.9 or 7.3. Hope this helps.

Ford F834

Reaction score
What is the serial number stamped next to the IP gear cover? If it is a late block with bolt in style piston oilers I might be interested. As far as a shop, Joel at Flagstaff Engine and Machine is the "man". Great guy and top notch machinist. I'm sure he would build an IDI if you don't want to do it yourself. He will be doing all my machine work for my performance 7.3. Very reasonable price wise as well.

sonictech.net

Reaction score
Ford:Thanks for the info and I'll check that serial tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

sonictech.net

Reaction score
Coffee table, desk, door stop. Patio table maybe a cool fire pit?? Have flames out all 8 hole ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
An electric motor to turn it slowly, a bit of propane injected into each cylinder at the bottom of each stroke and an ignitor near the top[emoji2]

Naz4x4

Reaction score
I'm having trouble locating the s/n on the spare block. No problem finding it on the motor installed in the truck though.!?! Here's a picture of where I think it should be:

You must be registered for see images attach

Ford F834

Reaction score
That's odd... that is right where it ~should be.... I'm guessing that surface may have been milled during a rebuild. Don't know why they'd do that though unless the head surfaces were decked enough to prevent the valley pan from sealing. Is the oil pan off? Can you look up into the bored and see if it has bolt in oilers?

Ford F834

Reaction score
Casting number is on the driver side below the oil cooler, down by the motor mount. Casting number doesn't help much though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the heads are off I'm betting this is a rebuilt engine. No other reason for the serial numbers to be milled off. You are looking at the correct place for the numbers.. Never fails.. something completely new comes along all the time here. In all honesty.. I have never seen this in my years on this forum.. and with nearly 24,000 posts too...:eek::angel::thumbsup:

Ford F834

Reaction score
Usually the rebuilder will add a tag with the main part of the serial number engraved on it:

You must be registered for see images attach

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Very odd. It could be a replacement block, I do not know if the factory would serialize a bare block.

If you want to try bringing thte number back, it can be done sometimes with a torch. Heat up the serial number area and the numbers will reveal themselves again. You have to get it pretty hot before you can read them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online