what to do about the block heater

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck is an 83 6.9, and i'm told that the block heater should not be used because they are known to crack the block on that year... so what am i supposed to do? just never use it? Is there an upgrade/fix for it?

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep your batteries, battery cables, and glow plug system in top shape.

I've heard of the '83 engine cracking in that area but was the block heater the root cause of the cracking? Or did the block tend to crack in that area because of a casting problem reguardless of whether or not the block heater was used?

A buddy of mine had an '84 6.9 and flat out refussed to use the block heater. In his mind, it cost a small fortune in electricity to use a block heater. In my mind, a timer and a little forthought minimizes the electrical usage (and extends the life of the batteries and starter). None the less, he went 20 years and 500,000 miles without using the block heater.

Google "zerostart" and consider some of the other types of engine heaters available.

Dave

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Metals act funny when they change temperstures. When you want to use the block heater it is usually very cold and the heating element is very hot. It doesnt heat the block evenly either. Once the engine cranks hot an cold fluid start moving about.

I found out my truck didnt have the original engine when i pulled the starter and saw a 4" weld going from where the blok heater was towards the back. The block # and some other signs of redneck-engine swapping validates that.

I would just take the cord off and not worry. If you need heat assistance then you can get a lower radiator hose heater i have a 600w one from katz that does pretty good. Was cheap too.The heat travels up the radiator rather than hesting the block unevenly. Some companies have heaters that circulate the coolant too...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Circulating coolant heaters like this are a very worth while investment.

You must be registered for see images attach

I have a similar one I"m planning on installing into the truck...

Below is the same model/type I have for install...
You must be registered for see images attach

Hope to get it in soon too....ROFL

Al

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i may see how it does this winter then go from there. thanks for all the info though. i did not know that such a thing existed

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
My old truck had an early '84 block in it, and I replaced the heater and used it with no problems for 2 years, pretty much every day since I had no working glow plugs.
Included with the new heater was a guide from International showing correct installation for the different engines that used it; it stated that heaters on these 6.9/7.3's had to be installed with the element in the 11 o'clock position. If you replace one, you'll see why...if it is tilted even 1 "hour" off from 11, the element will rest against the piston/oil galley casting inside the block. I was meticulous with the install and so I used the heater with confidence. But others have argued (the last time I brought this up) that their blocks cracked right from the factory, or even after correctly replacing a heater...so I guess some blocks were bad anyway. Just sharing my $.02, I guess use it at your own risk, or get an aftermarket one if you're not a gambling man...:dunno

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Block Heaters

My truck is an 83 6.9, and i'm told that the block heater should not be used because they are known to crack the block on that year... so what am i supposed to do? just never use it? Is there an upgrade/fix for it?

I can tell you that when I was stationed in Alaska (Fairbanks) it would get 40-50-60 degrees below zero at times...No-one and I mean no-one used the factory block heater...Why? Putting direct heat at the surface of the block in such a small area made the block brittle...Everyone used electric blankets....one made for the oil pan...one made to wrap the batteries, and an engine coolant heater with pump hooked up with a quick disconnect so it could be unhooked for driving...

That's all I know...and I don't use my block heater ever...and never will...

BTW...everyone also had lines that ran thru the fuel tanks to keep the fuel warm. They were hooked to the coolant system...Don't need all that here, but a good starting and fuel system really helps...Sometimes there comes a point when you just can't drive a diesel without in tank fuel heaters cuz that fuel will gel no matter what going down the road at 20 below...

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
i have an early block. The block heater itself was leaking from the bolt when I got the truck. I took it out and installed a 1 1/2 inch frost plug. this is the only port in the engine where one can use a standard frost plug. anyways, I have since installed a lower rad hose coolant heater as an alternative source of heat. It works just fine, takes longer to heat the engine then the block heater, but I also don't worry about any cracking. I had to upgrade to some Greenline G38 hose clamps on the heater as the standard worm clamps kept leaking due to the constant heat cycles. This was just a couple weeks ago. Seems ok thus far with the better clamps on it. I installed it on the upper portion of the lower rad hose so all the heat goes into the block instead of into the rad, which just doesn't seem to get the block warm enough to justify using it.
I would have gone with a circulating heater hose coolant heater instead due to the ease of install and the fact that you don't have to dump all your coolant to install it, however; a good unit is hard to come by. I am still on the lookout for one and will install it also, that way I have two, in case one gives me issues during the dead of winter...

As for why the blocks crack, this is beyond me but Smolkin said about the 11 o-clock thing, this makes sence. Learn something everyday!!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as i know most circulating heaters connect at the lower rad hose with a tee and then run to the heater hose.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
there are some that mount on a fenderwell or something that simply splice into the heater hoses. I saw one on a 3208 CAT once. Should have robbed it...

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as i know most circulating heaters connect at the lower rad hose with a tee and then run to the heater hose.

Al the ones Ive seen require you to remove a block drain and plumb into a heater hose. On the one I installed on an 84 IDI(worried about block cracking) I just removed the drain fitting on the radiator and spliced into the heater hose that comes off the head. Worked awesome and I wouldnt do it any other way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online