What SM clutch kit should I get

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why... I'm not using the LUK master/slave nor is a buddy of mine. He's using a parts store pre-bled unit and I'm using what my truck had on in when I got it. Looked fairly new so didnt feel like replacing it.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, look like I have a good plan of attack now. need to fix a couple electrical issues that have popped up too but not as big of a deal as the clutch.

Kheg

Reaction score
I installed a Luk kit on my '87 this past summer. I retained whatever clutch slave and master were on it when I started. I did however add the Ford small clutch master cylinder brace kit (less then $30.00) while everything was disassembled. I did have one (visible) fatigue crack next to the master. I was surprised how much the firewall straightened out when I tightened the bolts on the kit.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took me 12 hours by myself but I did have a tranny jack and took as many breaks as I needed to drink beers and what not. Make sure you or your mechanic who ever does the job uses a torque wrench to tighten up everything to spec and not just hammer down on everything with an impact.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make up a couple of alignment dowels for the flywheel. Cut the heads off some bolts with the same thread as the flywheel bolts, same for the transmission. Those flywheels are heavy. Use thread sealant on the flywheel bolts as they go through to the crankcase.
A member here makes the firewall reinforcement plate. http://www.terrapinmfg.com/ford firewall page.htm
Edit: I see you have a '93, so you don't need the plate, or at least one isn't made for OBS.

Last edited:

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It ain't bad to put the flywheel in... Just be prepared for the weight. Dont let the old one drop on you.

Also, the new one comes with bolts so you could cut the heads off 2 of the old ones and use them for guides. Just don't thread them in all the way so you can remove them.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologize for the hijack but what is the recommended thread sealant for the crank bolts? I know they need sealant but I'm not sure what to use. Good RTV? Other oil stable form-a-gasket?

What say your Al? @riotwarrior

I know I've seen you reference elephant snot but I cant for the life of me find it. Does it matter if it's Asian or African elephant snot? LOL

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Permatex makes a thread sealant so that's what I used. It is non hardening and not a thread locker. I don't claim to be an expert on this. I think what Riot calls elephant snot is Aviation #2 made by Permatex. The machine shop I used sealed block plugs with it, so it should work.

Kheg

Reaction score
Apologize for the hijack but what is the recommended thread sealant for the crank bolts? I know they need sealant but I'm not sure what to use.
You must be registered for see images attach

I used Copper Coat. No leaks. 8,000 miles. There is a cotton ball dobber attached to the lid. I simply coated the bolts and torqued to spec.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Late to the party, and my ZF5 SMF/ clutch swap was on a 95 PSD, but I think my lessons can help. You can find my thread and see the disaster that ensued. Lol
With a trans jack it should be rather easy...I didn't have one.
Take t-case off, saves a ton of frustration possible danger and it's just 6 bolts on a dry seal.
Using cut off bolts as guide dowels is HIGHLY recommend.
The old flywheel will likely have a thread locker that needs to be heated before they will break loose and the blue loctite works fine (evidently since I've gone 1500+ miles with no problems).
The flywheels are heavy but not impossibly so, just be careful.
The ZF5 really isn't super heavy, and two decently strong fellars can lift it into place if need be.
The slave was hard to get back into place, but obviously not impossible.
Use torque specs if you can, but I couldn't get the torque wrench to work without the flywheel turning so I cranked it as hard as I could and so far so good.
Take your time and be careful.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk