what sensor is this?

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so i have to run new oil pressure line to my gauge, no big deal, old is dry rotted like crazy... when i see a problem. Standing in front of my bronco, looking at the engine, on the right *driver side* from of the motor *closest to fan* there is some kind of sensor. it has a line running out of it, it appears to be just a metal line (almost like a wire, but its solid. might even be a single wire, its really dirty but i couldnt see any strands to it) coming from the sensor, it looks to be wrapped almost in a spring. i know this is confusing, but im rather stupid and forgot to take a picture of it and the truck is nearly 2 hours from me as im at work. Ill check around the site and try to find a picture of it... anyone know what im talking about? i want to say its a temp sender, maybe? but as for oil/water i couldnt tell.

Looking forward to any answers... going to try to find a good picture of a 7.3 to point it out and put that here if that helps out

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hope this helps

You must be registered for see images attach

Ok the sensor im talking about is in the pic, sorry its a bit small of a pic, found it via google on FTE. No luck searching for its name however. Its below and forward of the valve cover. hope someone can answer this so i know what to buy!

Last edited:

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
It may be the tach sensor, but without pics its hard to tell.. The tach sensor is just on the driver side of the IP

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
The location that you are referring to is the temp sender for the dash gauge.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which temp sensor? coolant or oil? gotta know what part to get ya know. i just called advance auto and they have both senders (come with new lines) but they couldnt tell me the location for either one!

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Coolant temperature. There is no oil temperature gauge, just pressure. There are three temperature senders on these engines: the one you are referring to controls the gauge sweep. There is another on in the head that controls the over-temp warning. There is also one on the other side of the engine next to and below the IP that controls the fast idle.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aaa ok thank you! advance is still listing oil temp one too.... maybe the guy is reading something wrong. Ill be heading to my local napa for the sweep controlling one. Thanks a bunch everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US