What kind Of MPG?

wycowboy

Reaction score
cdennyb said:
Oh, 1 more thing...did I mention that I have a Gear Venders Overdrive unit on the truck as well? Oh, I didn't. Well, I turn about 1600-1650 rpm at 58 mph. That's my best mpg point, empty.
Ahh that will help alot!!

BMF

Reaction score
My '01 my auto 4x4 got 18-19 and I wasn't easy on it. New truck gets a little less and it's a six speed. Still think I liked the '01 better than the '04

Headhunter_5.9

there it is Johnny!
Reaction score
my '00 dually 5-speed (2wd) gets anywhere from 19.5-24.5 in the summer empty but the winter blends here in IL are tough on it in the winter months, drops to 16.0-19.5 out side temp pending, when pulling 4 horses I'll usually scale at around 18,000 and ususally will not drop below 15, most of the time I'll run around 67 mph, seems to be the spot for the 'ole C-ummin, I seem to drop a mile or two per gallon over 2000 rpm's loaded.
My 2c's from IL

Hohn

Reaction score
My poor truck rarely gets the pleasure of an extended hwy drive. But I have done a couple things in an effort to improve mpg. Some haven't helped at all, some have, some I have no way of knowing.

In town, I get anywhere from 15.8-17 even. This is VERY short trips with the engine cold most of the way. Typically it's cold start-- drive 4 miles, shut down. Wash rinse, repeat. Poor truck rarely gets an open hwy run.

Last time I DID have a longer hwy run, I got 20 even, despite the fact that I had about 80 miles city hotrodding on it, and about 20 miles of off-road smoking. I was happy.

In the rare occasion that I get to run a WHOLE TANK on the hwy, I've gotten anywhere from 18 to 25. The 18 was running 85mph with lots of aerodynamic drag in the bed (oh, and ambient temps were low teens and single digits). OTOH, the 25 was with the cruise set at 53mph in 6th gear, with the engine loafing at about 1500 rpm.

I'm testing some other strategeries to improve mpg. more to come.

jh

freedomgwr

Reaction score
MPG

I.m looking around at motors and was wondering what kind of fuel milage do you all get? I know that driveing habits varry greatly cummins has an artical out that states that there can be as much as a 30% differance between the most and least eficien drivers. but in general what do you all get?? and what do you thnink is the most efient generation of cummmins/? thanks for you r time J ;Sweet

Well I have a 1999 quad cab 4 door 4x4 long bed with only K&N cold air intake bone stock and went on a 1,360 mile trip and I average 17.6 at about 75 mph, Fredomgwr

Death85e

Death85e
Reaction score
WOW! Ok now i i'm feelin a bit envious of all of you! My truck ( pictured in my sig) only gets 12 miles to the gallon open hwy at 70 mph. Now the stupid thing is i actually get around 14 if i load it down with around 2600 lbs of pellets. I am running 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler MT's. Beyond that everything on my truck is bone stock...never really gave any thought to upgrading anything or doing anything to gain better performance from her beyond doing a tranny swap to get rid of the auto and replace it with a standard. Forgot to mention she is a 7.3 IDI Turbo.

freedomgwr

Reaction score
Have you calculated the tires size difference?

WOW! Ok now i i'm feelin a bit envious of all of you! My truck ( pictured in my sig) only gets 12 miles to the gallon open hwy at 70 mph. Now the stupid thing is i actually get around 14 if i load it down with around 2600 lbs of pellets. I am running 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler MT's. Beyond that everything on my truck is bone stock...never really gave any thought to upgrading anything or doing anything to gain better performance from her beyond doing a tranny swap to get rid of the auto and replace it with a standard. Forgot to mention she is a 7.3 IDI Turbo.

What size tires are stock? You need to calculate the difference, have you?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
When my dad was looking at a truck, he took a good hard look at my NA IDI F250. I was getting GREAT milage 25 Miles per imperial gallon (21 MPG U.S.) out of it. This is when he decided he wanted a 3/4 ton or 1 ton SRW diesel.

The truck he bought, was a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 24v, Auto, 4x4 ext cab. short box.. It had 245/75R16's on it, but he has since put 265/75R16's on. Changing the tire size did nothing for his milage, and it still sucks on fuel!

I am not knocking on Cummins, as I drive an N14 Celect Plus and i love it, but I thought that it would get better than 15 miles per imparial gallon (or 12 MPG U.S.)!!!!

I don't know if there is a problem with it now, but the wastegate was stuck. We freed that up and gained 1 MPG out of it, but that was it!

It had new injectors, a new lift pump and a new turbo installed about a year ago, just before he bought it.

Tough as nails though, just not very efficient lol.

Death85e

Death85e
Reaction score
I just realized that my posts are in a cummins thread and i sincerly and deeply apologize to all here for posting about a 7.3 IDI here. I also extend my sincerest apology to wycowboy for hijacking his thread. If a moderator could move my posts to the proper area it would be gre4atly appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7