What kind Of MPG?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im in Casper, got some guys from Cheyenne, Douglas and Shoshoni on here also.

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys, first post, love the board. Very intellignet people out there. I have a '03 Dually crew cab (7100#) and empty on the fwy at 55 I can squeeze 28 mpgout of it on the avg for a 130 mile trip. Yes, I know that's a lot but I use the cruise control, have a banks 6-G w/speed loader and keep it set on stock for that kinda number. I use "power Punch" oil additive and synthic oil. I use diesel service fuel treatment and around town it goes to hell though. Maybe 18-20 mpg. It's the 24v engine rated at 235 hp. stock. Maybe I'm just lucky but it's got 83K miles on it right now. When I hook up to our 32ft enclosed car trailer Ionly get about 16-18 on the fwy at the same speed.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
are those hand calculated numbers or the new math that the overhead computer shows?
My OH puter only has compass and temp., but my buddies does with the V10 reads 3 mpg when towing the horses uphill. :puke:

BTW, welcome to oilburners. :Thumbs Up

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are both visual from the overhead computer and avg numbers from the math. I always write my mileage and mpg on my fuel receipts when I fuel up. At the end of year I write it off as work expenses (!!). The short term numbers are always dependant on the circumstances, grade, weather, load, etc. so they change a little either way. The long term avg numbers though are pretty good.

wycowboy

Reaction score
Well cdeeny,, your hell # 18-20 is what most folk would old love to have!! 28 is very imprsssive!!!
please don't be ofended if I am a bit sceptical of your fuguring, but I've never heard of # that high, but I have heard of 25 so it's not too far out there. .
So the lie-o-meater," over head desplay is inherently inacuarater. I know folks who have added a tuner and the desplay says 29 ish but when they do the math it comes out to 17.or so. so what I've determaned is the only acuarat method to get MPG# is to fill the tank to the top of the filler neck so I see liquid diesel not foam! this can take some time. of trickelingin fuel. reset t]he trip meater. drieve . then fill up again to the top of the filler neck. then devide milesdriven by gallons of fuel used..

so is that what you mean by hand calulated.?? if so still congrats and call me if your ever selling that moter!!!/ truck!! J

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, me too. I was skeptical at first and actually called the dealer to see if I had to do acalibration on the overheaddisplay. I drove this one-ton back and forth 5-6 days a week from my house into the bay area (about 146-148 miles one way) and it was usually at 4:30 am so traffic wasn't too bad. I did this for 5 months straight and got usually 655-680 miles to a fill up. I read in the book it has a 35 gal tank. I never ran it out completely but I have ran it down to where the overhead said I had less than 10 miles to go till MT. I figured it'd take about 34 gals or so to fil but never got more than 30-32 in it, takin my time as you stated and those are the honest to God numbers. Now if I let me wife drive it to Sacramento, (also flat ground, lead foot, window open, hair in the breeze style she's usually drivin in, well those numbers are in the crapper. She's lucky to get 18 on the fwy!
I'm not a "hot Rod" kinda driver but on occassion have been known to put a Mustang 5.0 in the weeds! LoL.

wycowboy

Reaction score
good for you, there needs to be more folks out ther who need beg truck. but understand that wanting to consever potrolium dos not make you a radical envornmentalist !! it makes you smart!! well I just did the math, I still trust you I'm just working with the # you gave me and at worst 655/mil Devided by 32 gal give s you 20.4 MPG and... best 680, mi. devided by 30 gal. givs you 22.6 MPG , .
Thats why I think the only acuarate way is to fill all the way to t the top and then devide the miles driven by the gallon it says on the pump. it seems that although the book says my tanks are 35 gal I can get 37 or 38 in to it in real life. still good # 's!!!! kee up the good work J

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, but remember, on my trip of about 150 miles I only calculated the fwy miles. Not the stop and go stuff after I got intot he city and had to sit at a damn stoplight for 10 minutes waitign for it to change to green! LoL.

wycowboy

Reaction score
yeah. dont you hate it when your at a stop. 0 MPG sure hurts!! J

haz-mat19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good job, I am very inveous. the best I ever got was 22, that was with stock tires and all highway driving. With fuel costs the way they are now I have slowed down to like 60-65, nd I am getting 18.5 to 19. See ya

Dzlnut

Reaction score
I am getting a solid 19mpg and i am loving it. The ferd i used to have only got 14mpg around town so heck ya i'll take the extra 5 mpg. 150 miles per tank is a huge difference to me, god i love my Dodge.

Steve

bigbrowngoat

COWBOYED UP
Reaction score
that's some good #s yall are geting the best I can do is 18 mpg on the hwy but I hope the #s will come up when I get new tires going to drop back to a 285/70r may I will get .5 mpg more :D

jponder

Reaction score
Using a Throttle cable, I set the throttle at about 1300 rpm and that setting will give me about 50 mph on flat ground i hit 60 going down hills and 40 climbing hills but average 50 mph. Best i ever got doing that was 26.5 empty and with my Truck camper grossing 11000 lbs total best I got using the same technique was 19.1

I am tall geared like whitmore, I only turn 100 rpm for every 4mph.

cdennyb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, 1 more thing...did I mention that I have a Gear Venders Overdrive unit on the truck as well? Oh, I didn't. Well, I turn about 1600-1650 rpm at 58 mph. That's my best mpg point, empty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online