What is your mileage?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in pursuit of finding out why my truck gets such horrible mileage i will start a thread

Truck=1997 f350 reg cab auto 4x4 4.10 gears 35's full banks inter cooler turbo exhaust etc tymar

Mileage Best= 14
Mileage average= 9.8
Mileage worst= less than 9 This tank! Empty!

There has to be something wrong! This thing gets horrible mileage!

These numbers were run down to the same spot on e every time and then math was done from miles different from previous record divided by new gallons in...

Anyone have an idea why my truck gets such bad fuel economy?

It seems to just keep going down and down?

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 1995 CC 4x4 auto 7.3L

Best..... 22+ MPG driving like lil ole lady from pasadena
Average 17 mpg
Worst ... 9 mpg, towing 26ft TT up steep grades with hellacious headwinds (30-40mph) between Billings Mt and Bozeman Mt. btw.... NOTHING passed me on that leg of the trip either.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i get 9-14 mpg...avg 10-11 towing and 12 empty (not towing but with tools/cap/roof rack)

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
av 14-16 in the 96 and 95, and about 17 in the 03
a plugged ebp sensor will cause bad mileage, as will a bad ipr or ipc, or map even a cps will do it.
had one truck that bad injectors causes low mileage
also how and where ya drive will affect

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would i tell if my ipr etc was bad? Can you have stuff tested/ scanned on the truck to see if its bad?

Where is that link to clean the ebp sensor?

pfarmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have a 96 1 ton Powerstroke with 4.10 gears and got mileage only a little better than yours. I didn't need the 4.10 gears and I won't get another one. (In fact, I heard that Ford is working on a transmission for the 2010 or 2011 model with a higher highway gear somewhere around 3.25...for the highway people. Don't know if it's true or not.) Now I have an 05 3/4 ton with lots of add-ons (mostly Banks) and I get about 17 with the cruise set at 70, 15/16 or so if I'm running about 75 to 80 and crap when I'm idling around wheat fields all day. I've discovered that the secret to better mileage for me was a bigger cold air intake, a really clean air filter, a better engineered exhaust, consistent and smooth acceleration, good fuel (not BIO) and I use a cetane fuel additive. I change oil every 5K miles (Motorcraft Superduty Oil only) use the biggest oil filter I can find, change fuel filters every 10K and basically stick to the Ford recommended service for transmission service, differential services etc. I let it warm up completely before I drive off and basically spoil this poor truck to death. So far, he's been an amazing ride, the love of my life and when begged the question "When I turn on my truck in the morning, does it return the favor..." the answer is STILL "Hell Ya!". Only 3 more payments boys. Whew.

I know your question was about the 7.3, but having had several in the past and doing what I do now to conserve fuel, I know that part of my mileage problems in the past was ME, not necessarily the truck.

Last edited:

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah most definetly a combo of both user and truck. I take really good care of this truck as well.

Thats great that you only have three payments left on the truck. That is part of the problem were in the dumps now because people never get things paid off!

I will never buy a new truck but it would be a good feeling if i were in the same page.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
my 03 with edge evolution got 15.5mpg going down to the rally loaded with camping gear and pulling a small trailer with a motorcycle on it running 70+ mph with heavy traffic. The tank before with camping equipment but no trailer and bike was almost 20mpg. Running around at the rally with extreme stop and go traffic and rolling smoke at almost every chance we got over 18mpg

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
If the CPS is bad and needs replacing, use the genuine part. You'll lose 1-2mpg with the aftermarket version. Gearing is all wrong for mpg. Are you losing power? Any strange smoke? How many miles on the truck? What is the boost pressure like? Oil consumption gone up? Anything in the intake or exhaust systems clogged up?
Run a compression test and a leakdown test just on principle after checking all the other systems to makes sure they are ok.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no leaks or burning of fluids etc etc. The truck always starts really easy so im not sure if the cps is bad or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online