Oil Pressure Issues.....????

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I have a K&N air filter..... there is no oil in the air cleaner itself....... coming off the CDR in that hose there is a thin film of oil but nothing excessive.... from that point to the turbo there is also a thin film of oil but nothing excessive there either....... and obviously in the turbo you can see whats in there.....

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If a cdr (see previous post) is stuck open it could cause oil to get there in lots i believe. now do You know how many miles You have on that turbo? The video doesn't sound like something is wrong to Me but I'm no expert there, now if it is the turbo i would not use it nor run the engine until I get it rebuild.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have a K&N air filter..... there is no oil in the air cleaner itself....... coming off the CDR in that hose there is a thin film of oil but nothing excessive.... from that point to the turbo there is also a thin film of oil but nothing excessive there either....... and obviously in the turbo you can see whats in there.....

Before you go condemning the turbo, go grab a paper filter element and stick it in the thing and see if that takes care of the excessive oil consumption.
I've seen this on a number of diesels that have put free flowing air filters on where they start inhaling oil.
The closed crankcase ventilation systems are designed for what little vacuum that there is on a diesel between the manifold and the filter , to create a negative pressure above the gasses and draw the blowby gasses from the crankcase off and burn them in the engine. When you install a free flowing air filter , you eliminate any restriction. Great for fast takeoffs...lousy for crankcase gas scavanging.
When a negative pressure does not exist to draw the crankcase gasses out, then they have to wait until there is enough pressure built up in the crankcase to overcome the pressure of the air in the box and be forced out. This leads to oil belching out of the breather tube.

I first ran into this years ago on a diesel car that I just HAD to have an open filter on the thing. I ended up having to rig an oil trap that I scavanged off of an Isuzu NPR at the big truck boneyerd onto the thing to return all the oil in the breather line back to the oil pan.
Racor makes a nifty aftermarket breather line oil trap for this purpose as well.

I just recently had to fool with a bunch of things and rebuilt my turbo just for giggles since I had the engine out for freeze plugs and had to buy a new pressure side impeller due to damage from too much dust damage and at the behest of the turbo shop ditched the K&N and stuck a paper filter in and low and behold ( and it didn't surprise me any ) the thing doesn't use any oil now, no more heavy dark streak in the filter housing ;Sweet

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is very intesting, i didnt realize there was a use for the vaccum on these engines. But i dont think i even have a CDR on mine though, i havnt found one and there are no extra hoses going into the intake on my truck?

tractorman86

Reaction score
with the intake off grab the shaft and move it side to side and in and out(HONESTLY NO PUN INTENDED), how much play does it have? it does sound like seals but it is possible for seals to leak and not have bad bearings.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
This K&N filter has been on here for a while....... nothing new, and there isn't much oil on the filter, if any at all....... There really isn't any oil on the air cleaner housing....... I should have taken a picture.... dang..... I'm truly at a loss right now other than trying to get this turbo out and bringing it to the turbo place in town here who said he would look at it free and let me know whats up with it, good, bad, or otherwise.....

tractorman, we checked that out.... there is VERY slight side to side play and virtually no in and out play, it spins freely without catching on the turbo walls....... the fins in the turbo look sort of funky to me, I dunno what ya'll thought of the picture.......

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That is very intesting, i didnt realize there was a use for the vaccum on these engines. But i dont think i even have a CDR on mine though, i havnt found one and there are no extra hoses going into the intake on my truck?

Yup, that vacuum is very important. Before the emissions regulations made closed crankcase ventilation a requirement, all the diesels had road draft tubes, but they generally had a larger diameter tube and the thing would stick straight down below the lowest point of anything on the truck so that the air passing under it would create a vacuum ( similar to blowing across the top of a beverage straw , how it will draw the drink up out of the glass ), the "road Draft" creates the vacuum that draws the gasses out of the crankcase.

This is why some homemade RDT setups work and some dont, if you just slap a piece of hose on there and run it back at an angle, you won't get any crankcase scavanging and you'll wind up with the best undercoating job in town :rotflmao , the tube has to be cut square and hang down below the rest of the truck to work properly, then they work quite well.

suv7734

Reaction score
The blowby doesn't look that bad, how does it look when you rev it up a bit? Does the tailpipe show any signs of oil? Not burning I mean just black and wet. If the seal on the exhaust side of the turbo is shot it will shoot oil into the downpipe.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This K&N filter has been on here for a while....... nothing new, and there isn't much oil on the filter, if any at all....... There really isn't any oil on the air cleaner housing....... I should have taken a picture.... dang..... I'm truly at a loss right now other than trying to get this turbo out and bringing it to the turbo place in town here who said he would look at it free and let me know whats up with it, good, bad, or otherwise.....

tractorman, we checked that out.... there is VERY slight side to side play and virtually no in and out play, it spins freely without catching on the turbo walls....... the fins in the turbo look sort of funky to me, I dunno what ya'll thought of the picture.......

The impeller wheel looks like it has had some dirt hit it. It's still usable for now, if you grab the nose and wiggle it all the way around and no scraping , and as little play as you describe, it doesn't sound like it's about to come apart.
Do yourself a favour and try the paper air filter test first. It'll cost you about $8 to find out. If that doesn't take care of it, then yank the turbo. No sense grabbing the big ticket items right off the bat. Clean the cdr while you're at it.

The *rings* inside a turbo do not really hold back oil, as much as they hold back pressure from the turbine sides . if you take one apart you will see where the bearings are lubricated there is a massive gap where oil drops freely back toward the and does not build pressure against the rings. I had this discussion with an engineer friend who used to design turbines and he assured me the rings were there for air/exhaust gas control. He said the only time they became an issue in oil consumption is if they broke clean away where oil could splash by which was extraordinarily rare.
those kinds of turbos are usually making crunchy noises.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
There is no oil coming out of the tailpipe.... and there isn't any sitting there either......

I'm not sure where exactly the oil is coming from on the tranny, There is oil sitting under the turbo, probably a little more than normal. I'm not sure where it is coming from either..... What if I degreased the whole motor and then saw where the oil came from? I dunno if this can be done or not......

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
its got to be the oil drain or the oil feed clean it up drive it around town when u get home pop the hood and check
or u could be burning ur own oil in small quantities on the intake side all ways go with the cheepest route first