What is the Starting System Telling Me?

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
I turn the key on a cold engine, WTS light stays on for about 7 seconds and I get a faint "clicky-click". I turn it off and on again, WTS light stays on for about 4-5 seconds and I get a fimer "clicky-click". I turn it off and on again, WTS light stays on for about 2 seconds and I get a FIRM "clicky-click" (the sound I remember last winter when she'd kick over at 0 deg. F!). It's getting to a point where it's easist to go thru this event to start her when she's cold. What is she telling me?

Today I except new Motorcraft GPs to be delivered ($71.73 total). This weekend I plan on pulling the batteries (only 1 year old), washing them, painting the trays, replacing them, cleaning all starting connections, checking GP relay grounds and R&R the GPs.

Do I lubricate the GP threads and what is the torque requirement? How do I verify the GP wire harness?

Hopefully, this will make her trustworthy for the coming winter.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
John Haggerty said:
What is she telling me?
Do I lubricate the GP threads and what is the torque requirement?
i think you're on the right track... my guess is she's telling you to put those new GP's in - @ 12 ft/lbs torque, with a little dab of anti-sieze on the threads & maybe even a touch of dielectric grease on the connector end ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online