What happens?

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I am going to pick up a 95 f250 cheap, but was ran out of oil. What happens when this happens? Do the injectors stop firing before the bottom end goes bad?

ihatelaramie

Reaction score
The guy that does the maintainence on our work trucks is supposed to know Powerstrokes pretty good (worked for Ford) and he said that the way that the injectors are fired is kinda like a failsafe, since supposedlly they wont fire without enough oil... BUT... I have personally driven a Powerstroke that was over 2 GALLONS LOW... So... :dunno

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I have an idea how the heui systems works. I work on Cat motors at work and they are the same principal. I know that on start-up they won't energize for fuel until a certain psi from the hpop is reached. I just don't know if that works in reverse, so if low oil psi, then no fire. If that is the case, i might get lucky.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
when the oil gets low enough to stop pumping it thru the motor it also won't fill the HPOP so the injectors quit firing which it only takes a couple minutes to run out of oil so not long enough to ruin anything

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It should be fine, I've seen a 444TE in a binder fire up and die almost immediately because the engine was so low on oil....Had me stumped for a minute until I pulled the dipstick.

wpfd571

Reaction score
So its 700 bucks?? How can you go wrong even if the motors shot, looks like a nice body you could do a lot of updating to an older truck with that body and interior.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you will get lucky and it was a loose drain plug. If the trans was a manual, I suspect there could be additional damage. Plus if he was a real dummy, maybe a burned up starter and a lot of dry cranking. :dunno