What did you do with your VW today?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Finally got the tuner working last night.
A few weeks ago when I was going in for the oil change and alignment, I couldn't get the stock tune to load.
After emails to kermatdi, which was no help. Got to the point he wouldn't even respond back....
Any who you're supposed to plug it in, start tuning, then it'll prompt you to turn on the key and confirm.
Well normally what happens is the first attempt it'll fail for whatever reason. I found if I leave the key on and try again, it will work.
But if turn the key off (as in the instructions) it will keep failing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lower control arm bushings on Saturday. When I was doing the shocks I saw the TDI-type were trashed and I could move the tire back and forth about 4" with force. Pressed in the improved TT-type (solid ones) and it's like night and day. New sway bar endlinks while I was there and at the next tire change I'll put new ball joints, tie rods, sway bar bushings, and wheel bearings. I only got about 60k miles and three years out of the old bushings; they shouldn't even be sold anymore with the TT ones available.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced the hose going between the vacuum pump and the brake booster on my TDI last Wednesday. The old one had split so badly that I basically had no vacuum system. I'm so aggressive with using the engine to slow myself down that I didn't realize that my brake booster wasn't working until someone cut me off a few weeks ago and I had to panic stop and almost couldn't :shocked:

I've since read that lack of vacuum can lead to low turbo boost...people were talking about getting CEL's but mine never came on. I think I might have a bit more power, although I confess I didn't really try...but, what really opened my eyes was that I got 54 MPG on my next tank :shocked: ;Sweet :shocked: I'm thinking that it was a fluke or that I didn't get an air bubble out of my tank or something, but does anyone know if there might be a correlation between vacuum system trouble and "poor" fuel mileage on an ALH TDI? I was averaging 45 MPG per tank before, which is nothing to sneeze at...but even still...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
So lately the ac has been sucky.
Figured I would recharge it with the leak detector can.
Well now it seems to be a little warmer.
But... only at 40/215 low/high.
The R134A charts state 50-55/275-300 for ambient Temps here.
That's just seems really high.
Thinking of trying another can.
Could it have really been that low previously, but still worked?

Think this one I'll just take in to the dealer.
I have noticed, this thing never has condensate drain with the ac running. (Yes, the drain is clear. I've checked it.)
I'm also going to look into insulating the line's. They run right behind the engine and enter the center of the firewall. I noticed there's no insulation at all.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Not today...but.

Blew it up. Going up a pass northbound into Pasco, Wa I noticed a hot smell. Looked behind me and noticed a large amount of black smoke (mind you I was doing 80mph). Turbo was sounding funny. By the time I coasting into Pasco (I was at the crest when hell broke loose), it sounded like I had a straight piped Boxer (Subaru WRX sound) under the hood. Got worse and worse. Pulled over ASAP. Intake Elbow going into the turbo had come loose from the turbo, who knows how long it was sucking dirty air. Pulled intercooler hose going into intake manifold. Full of oil (normal) dirt, and aluminum shards. Will probably need a full on rebuild at the least.

Anyways, I'm in Lincoln, NE and we needed another car (ANOTHER CAR?!?!?!?!?) as my wife and kids were going to visit family in Texas. So I got a steal of a deal on a 16 Jetta, 1.4tsi/manual, SE. It gets 40-41mpg hand calc on the highway at 75mph with AC on crappy e10 87 oct. gas. Around town I have to try to do 30. But it was cheap, and it has a warranty so I don't have to worry about screwing around with it for a while.

When I get back I'll pull the head on the BEW and see how bad things look. It will probably get parted out. I have a few bites on the B4V, waiting for my return so they can look at it. Before Sept. 2018 I think we will trade in the Sportwagen on something bigger (only because we will come out about $7000 ahead of what we bought it for, so talk about some good equity). Then I guess I'll be TDI'less for a while. I might get back into a newer one later, once (if) they start to resale them.

Or maybe I will pick up that ecodiesel that I test drove a few days ago (and with my railroad discount....the price sure was tempting).

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
As much as I hate to admit it, it seems the ecodiesel are doing well.
I would try the Colorado first, but it is still a "mid size" truck, not full size like the ram.

I've seen claims saying tdi's will still be sold, just not in as many platforms.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Hopefully they still sell TDI's, I still like them. The ecodiesel was nice as hell. MSRP was 50K on the one I drove, my discount would put it at 39.5K out the door. Still a lot of scratch, so I won't get it...but thats not an awful price IMO.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yeah, that's not too bad.
I'm more of one where if I was paying that much, I'd find a used 3/4 or one ton though. Lol
Otherwise a s10 would suit me fine, if I'm not towing.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I saw this a long time ago when I first got down here.
Well, I saw it again, and it's for sale. $3500
You must be registered for see images attach

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let my TDI sit at the dealer. Been there for almost a year now (dropped off before going downrange, then scandal broke out). Waiting on the lawsuits to finish and cash it out

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Broke 200K miles! 4,000 more miles and it's timing belt time!

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the driver side CV axle and ball joint. Coming home last night I drove over a known pothole area and slam; lower BJ separated, tire pushed back, CV axle separated at the transmission housing. Got a tow 1/2 mi home and put it on jackstands. I had the spare parts on hand and it was about an hour remove/replace. Drives good now. Moog BJ had about 50k and CV shaft was OEM. The price I pay for 50+mpg...