What Clutch to go with? ZF5 Manual

SS90

Reaction score
I believe the clutch in my 91 350 finally pooped the bed or is close to it. Since I bought the truck a few weeks ago I've noticed a rattle coming from the bellhousing area. I've assumed it was the exhaust. The truck has a hypermax turbo kit and the pipe fitment is horrible and rubbing on the trans and crossmember.

Anyway, driving home last night on the freeway doing about 65mph in 5th gear I flat footed the accelerator pedal to get around someone and the truck accelerated but then the clutch slipped as it got to around 7pounds of boost. After it did this I had to see if it was repeatable, and sure enough in 4th and 5th under load the clutch would slip under heavy acceleration. The clutch slipping is new, but the rattle has been there since I bought it.

I've done a little bit of research and now know that these trucks come with the dual mass flywheels. And guys seem to switch to the single mass conversions.

What setup is best to go with? What brand? Who has the best pricing? I need thus truck to pull my 24 foot enclosed trailer with a race car and this slipping with no trailer hooked up isn't going to cut it lol. Help me out! Thanks in advance

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 major brands people use are LUK and South bend clutch.

when i did my ZF5 swap, i ordered a complete SMF and clutch. ran me about 800 bucks.
its a good kit, came with all hardware. heaviest ive towed was my 5800 pound boat into the back yard, without issues.

most people here run LUK's im not sure on the price, but from what i read, there about 1/2 price of the same nature.
they seem to hold up well.

on another note, go to the hardware store and purchase 4 6" long bolts and cut the heads off,
install into the engine before putting the ZF back into place, it helps ALOT

SS90

Reaction score
I found "clutch city online" sells a complete smf clutch kit for $495. I called them to ask if I needed a different style clutch because of the added turbo and she just stated that if my 8th vin digit was "m". I also see the Valeo kits with smf as well.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Partsgeek had some good prices, but their site doesn't give a lot of info. I have to replace my dual mass flywheel, and they have a Luk kit for $282 that appears to be a complete kit, but I can't tell nearly enough if that's the case. I'll be calling them today to make sure.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if that luk is compelte for 282 that is the bast got dang price ever. I got mine for 350 from rockautpo with shipping

SS90

Reaction score
Partsgeek had some good prices, but their site doesn't give a lot of info. I have to replace my dual mass flywheel, and they have a Luk kit for $282 that appears to be a complete kit, but I can't tell nearly enough if that's the case. I'll be calling them today to make sure.

Keep me informed. Is that for a kit with flywheel?

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Called partsgeek and was on hold for 10 minutes before they hung up on me. So, I've submitted an email. I'll update again when I learn something.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was really happy with an LUK replacement from Carolina Clutch. It was the best price I could find anywhere 1.5 years ago. Fast shipping and the parts they sent actually fit. I think mine was also around $350 with the flywheel.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was really happy with an LUK replacement from Carolina Clutch. It was the best price I could find anywhere 1.5 years ago. Fast shipping and the parts they sent actually fit. I think mine was also around $350 with the flywheel.
They have the 07-226 as well, and their price is $285. Not sure about the shipping. I just found that doing research on the kit because I can't get an answer from partsgeek.
That specific kit is for a PSD, it would appear. That's what I'm searching for. I can't imagine there would be any difference in the ZF5 on an early PSD and an IDI, but I've no idea.

Edit: I his the flywheel is different, duh

Last edited:

SS90

Reaction score
They have the 07-226 as well, and their price is $285. Not sure about the shipping. I just found that doing research on the kit because I can't get an answer from partsgeek.
That specific kit is for a PSD, it would appear. That's what I'm searching for. I can't imagine there would be any difference in the ZF5 on an early PSD and an IDI, but I've no idea.

Edit: I his the flywheel is different, duh

I found the correct one on parts geek. Flywheel is seperate.

This may be a dumb question but how can I verify truck actually has a dmf and not a single? I pulled the inspection cover bolts but can't get the Damn thing out without pulling the turbo charge pipe.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
charge pipe?
the driver to passenger cross over pipe?
or the turbo down pipe?

neither should be in the way of the inspection cover of the transmission :dunno

dont even waste the time with it, just order a new
SMF kit ;Sweet

SS90

Reaction score
It's the driver side manifold to turbo pipe. It swings down low before it comes up over the trans

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7