What about a Ranger O/D unit?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
A ZF is rated for 550ftlbs of torque and a much simpler setup....I find my 3.55's with the ZF is just right on the highway....A little lazy loaded heavy but overall pretty decent.

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
Keep your eyes open. I just found a US Gear 2wd for a c-6 on craigslist.;Sweet The guy was parting out an 86 2wd 6.9 dually. The motor was old & tired but the over drive unit had 47K miles. I also picked up a Banks sidewinder with same mileage from the same truck. I got a pretty good deal by buying both of them. The turbo's for sale because it won't fit a van and I'm going to try & put the US Gear in the wifes van (88 7.3 With 56k original miles) this weekend. As long as time avails itself.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not against going the more conventional way, the twin stick sounds cool though, might suck after a few days in traffic, who knows. $1500 would be a lot to spend I'd love to get something cheap, but realistically 500-800 for a used unit or $1500 for a new one I could justify, just never the $2500 plus for a GV or US Gear new unit.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Just wondering about those Spicer 5831 units, can you keep them in overdrive and stop. I remember hearing that on gear vendor overdrives it wrecks the unit if you go below a certain speed, is this the same for the Spicer?

I think it would be pretty dang killer if I had my t-19 shifter, my T/C shifter, and a Spicer shifter setup all in there. Might get a little confusing, oh well :D

big van

Nobody Special
Reaction score
Not too sure about the spicer, but the US gear can be left in overdrive all the time or you can shift it in & out. The Gear vendors is a clutch unit like an auto trans & the Us gear is a gear driven unit.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Not too sure about the spicer, but the US gear can be left in overdrive all the time or you can shift it in & out. The Gear vendors is a clutch unit like an auto trans & the Us gear is a gear driven unit.

Well then, I suppose you could stop without having to worry about getting it out of overdrive.

I doubt, though, that it would be any cheaper than a ZF-5 speed swap.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Just wondering about those Spicer 5831 units, can you keep them in overdrive and stop. I remember hearing that on gear vendor overdrives it wrecks the unit if you go below a certain speed, is this the same for the Spicer?

I think it would be pretty dang killer if I had my t-19 shifter, my T/C shifter, and a Spicer shifter setup all in there. Might get a little confusing, oh well :D

The spicer auxiliaries couldn't care less what gear you leave them in, you aren't going to hurt the things . These things are the old brownie boxes out of big trucks, the 5831 is one of the smaller ones used in dump trucks and short log rigs and the like. it's a non syncho box so skilled shifting is involved( i.e. gotta learn how to float gears like a big truck driver or do the double clutch routine enough to fudge them in)

If you leave it in OD and stop it wont hurt anything, OD and 1st might just be the perfect takeoff gear if pointed downhill.

I kind of figured with an unmarked shiftknob parking the thing in UD would make for an extra theft deturrent. if anyone tried to steal the thing they wouldn't be able to go more than about 15 mph :rotflmao

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The spicer auxiliaries couldn't care less what gear you leave them in, you aren't going to hurt the things . These things are the old brownie boxes out of big trucks, the 5831 is one of the smaller ones used in dump trucks and short log rigs and the like. it's a non syncho box so skilled shifting is involved( i.e. gotta learn how to float gears like a big truck driver or do the double clutch routine enough to fudge them in)

If you leave it in OD and stop it wont hurt anything, OD and 1st might just be the perfect takeoff gear if pointed downhill.

I kind of figured with an unmarked shiftknob parking the thing in UD would make for an extra theft deturrent. if anyone tried to steal the thing they wouldn't be able to go more than about 15 mph :rotflmao

Floating gears is when you shift out of gear without using the clutch, and then match the rpm's to the speed of the tranny for the next gear, then you slide it into gear without the clutch, right? If it is I can do it ;Sweet. Its not all that hard to do at all.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
Floating gears is when you shift out of gear without using the clutch, and then match the rpm's to the speed of the tranny for the next gear, then you slide it into gear without the clutch, right? If it is I can do it ;Sweet. Its not all that hard to do at all.

yep it sounds hard but its just feel and its easy to get used to

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truthfully I need something that'll bolt to a T19, not a C6. It sounds like the Spicer Box is a great idea, but it might be a little beyond my capabilities(right now) in terms of manual transmission shifting. I've never floated gears just clutch...boring. It sounds like the Ranger unit is simple enough. I also recall there was a guy who posted here for awhile, said he was selling some sort of GV knockoff for 1000-1600, haven't heard from him in awhile. He wanted to decide which type of tranny he should make one for, I hoped he'd make one for a T19 as well. Hopefully he'll post back!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

If you can float gears on a synchro box... where you aren't supposed to ;Poke , you wouldn't have any trouble at all shifting a brownie :D

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If you can float gears on a synchro box... where you aren't supposed to ;Poke , you wouldn't have any trouble at all shifting a brownie :D

Come on now, I havent done it in a while. I remember the first time I did it, I was kinda bored driving through town heading home after school. I was doing around 35mph in 3rd gear, decided I would try to get it into 4th. Pulled it out of third, let off the throttle, held the shifter with a little pressure over where it slides into 4th gear, then all the sudden it just slipped in and away I went. I think just as long as you dont get any grinding you should be good right? I havnt done it in a couple weeks...

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come on now, I havent done it in a while. I remember the first time I did it, I was kinda bored driving through town heading home after school. I was doing around 35mph in 3rd gear, decided I would try to get it into 4th. Pulled it out of third, let off the throttle, held the shifter with a little pressure over where it slides into 4th gear, then all the sudden it just slipped in and away I went. I think just as long as you dont get any grinding you should be good right? I havnt done it in a couple weeks...

Its ******* your syncros.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online

No members online now.