well,it is official.WL had Cavitation

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yea,only took me 2 years to figure this out.But today was the nail in that coffin.When I pulled the heads the gaskets were well sealed.No evidence of fluid transfer.Had the heads R&Red this week and came back perfect.No cracks,guides perfect,not warped,etc.That only leaves the Big C.The Coolant in the oil had to be north of the Pistons since it would drool black goop out the tail pipe every so often(when the piston stopped at bottom dead center at shutoff).Strange thing is,I think it was Cylinder 2 since when I was doing a compression check I had a guyser comming out that GP hole.I though it was diesel but after seeing the spray comming out our race cars engine(350 Bow tie....nice spider web pattern in the Cylinder wall!) I would have to say it was water not fuel.

And for those that wish to know,I paid $100 for the R&R.On Both heads.Yea 50 each for them to Clean,pressure check,check the valves,do a valve job,and Face them off.Suprised since when I took them they were very nasty and still have everything in them.They had to remove the Glow Plugs,injectors,Lines,Ground strap,head shield.And if anyone wants brand new heads they have them.$400 and no Core required unlike Clearwater.......to be exact they sell the heads to Clearwater.They are out right now but can get more and are. http://www.acheinc.com/

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Is there any chance that the water is coming from an outside source? My engine hydro-locked a few years ago. The source of the water in my case was rain water. The seal at the rear of the hood was bad, and there was no seal under the A/C bolt. When parking with the front end pointing down hill. enough water could get past that seal and lay on top the air filter, and drip past the bolt that holds the A/C on. From there it ran to which ever valve was open and into the cylinder.
Fix, in my case, was simple. Replace the seals.

LandscapeMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
And for those that wish to know,I paid $100 for the R&R.On Both heads.Yea 50 each for them to Clean,pressure check,check the valves,do a valve job,and Face them off.Suprised since when I took them they were very nasty and still have everything in them.They had to remove the Glow Plugs,injectors,Lines,Ground strap,head shield.And if anyone wants brand new heads they have them.$400 and no Core required unlike Clearwater.......to be exact they sell the heads to Clearwater.They are out right now but can get more and are. http://www.acheinc.com/

WOW, good find!
$100. seems like you can't get anyone around here to even evaluate a problem for less than $100.
Charlie

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
You should put the heads back on and seal everything up, then fill the cooling system. The weights of the water up in the heads will probably be enough for you to see the water driping out the cavitation hole. That's what i did that one time. Pics in my sig.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
yaric008 said:
You should put the heads back on and seal everything up, then fill the cooling system. The weights of the water up in the heads will probably be enough for you to see the water driping out the cavitation hole. That's what i did that one time. Pics in my sig.

Nah,I am gonna just have all 8 sleeved,drop some of those decked mahle pistons in there,"Treat" the rods,stud the head,and really enjoy things.Found a place local that will do the sleeving for $100 a hole but they loctite the sleeves in(.001 clearance between block and sleeve).This gives me a reason to build it the way it should be.Now if I could get some dang OT at the plant!Crap,10 months a a couple days to go....I gotta get on the ball finally!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you found the problem... looking forward to seeing what's next for White Lightning.

Mike

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Mikes91 said:
Glad you found the problem... looking forward to seeing what's next for White Lightning.

Mike

You ain't the only one.I am sure all the members of the IDI boards are too.Been WAAAAAAAY too long about getting the truck back on the road.This weekend I am gonna test out my new fangled seal puller I built at the plant on The MM.Atleast get the easy to fix diesel going.I might stick Commercial tags and insurance back on it and start driving it.Be cheaper.Mix 50/50 WVO to Diesel and drive the monster.