Weird steering and hub issues???

mbarry98

Reaction score
So recently I have noticed my steering to become very squirrely when driving straight and when turning very jumpy.. I have noticed that my left side hub spins halfway to the locked position by itself. What I also find weird is sometimes it stops driving squirrely and I'm assuming this is after it spins itself from the free halfway to the locked position. Any Ideas?? :mad::confused:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull that hub out and check it. It should not turn on it's own. Something is wrong there. That in itself could cause it to steer funny but the problems may be unrelated.

The good news is if you have to replace the hubs for some reason, D50 and D60 are the same so buy good ones and you can swap them over if/when you do the swap.

;Sweet

Check your linkages. The D50 steering setup is weird. Could be a worn link.

mbarry98

Reaction score
I noticed this problem 2 days ago so yesterday I pulled both sides apart and everything looked fine!! The hubs are only a year old! But it happened to me again this morning when I went to the post office!!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of hubs did you put in?

You could have a bad universal joint in the axle shaft that is binding up and dragging causing the steering problem. I would think it would be especially prevalent if the hub is partially engaging.

mbarry98

Reaction score
I have the warn premium hubs. I'm starting to wonder if it's the u joints now too.. I there an easy way to tell if they are bad without pulling everything apart again?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have those hubs too. I can't think of a good reason why the knob would turn. Are you sure the retainer ring is in there? This is really bothering me. I 'm not in front of it but there is no real link to knob. Its a springloaded do-dad to engage the two halves right? Too much grease maybe?

To check the ujoints I think you jack the front end up one wheel at a time with the steering turned to lock and roll the tire. It should turn smooth. If it catches then you have something binding.

Someone double check me on that please??

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Might be a little off into left field, but with the steering wheel unlocked, how much play is there between the 2 halves of your steering shaft?

I have a lot of play in mine and on a straight/flat road is fine, but anything else and the front tires try to follow ruts and grooves in the asphalt.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ball Joints, all of them? Check the kingpin joints. If there is any play they are shot and need to be replaced.

mbarry98

Reaction score
I'm us to a little play but thi is much worse to the point where its hard to keep it straight at 30mph but its not all the time that it does that.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me as though something has stuck in left hub wheel bearing axle assembly. The binding is likely a sticking U joint on the drive axle. Go as said jack and block front end in air. Set lockout hubs to free remove tre from pitman arm....and move wheels back and forth lock to lock spinning wheels slowly if no binding lock hubs...spin wheels again while moving wheels lock to lock...if binding occurrs there is the bad Ujoint...pita to do but removes steering box from the scenario so you are only dealing with upper and lower BJ the TRE's and axle u joints.

JM7.3CW

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Take that Hub apart and pull the sping and the little gear outta there that'll keep it from being able to actually lock in weather it turns or not and if it still does it I would say you can rule out the hub and the axle shaft ujoints(we did this on my d60 cause the ujoints were bad and we couldn't turn it by hand but the steering broke it free so this kept it from being able to lock in to be on the safe side)

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk