Weird Starting?

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Okay... so no big worries or anything but..... My truck is running great, but sort of odd I'm getting somewhat of a hard start once the truck is hot. It always fires up, just takes a little cranking once I've driven around and warmed it up.:dunno The idiot gauge in the truck has never gone more than 1/2 way usually much lower than that.

Also, I'm trying to sort out some kind of glow plug issue, I replaced the GP relay the other day and that didn't change anything. The GP's are only short cycling for a tenth of a second maybe. When plugged in the truck fires right off, I even had the truck sit for about 2 weeks while i was away, plugged it in for a few hours and fired right up.

So, not sure bout the hard start when it's warm? And I guess i'll be replacing the GP's or the controller or both.... Any input?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what ive read it could be the starter is not spinning fast enough, i know you need more RPMs when the engine is hot to start it up. So maybe the starter is getting tired?

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
i need more info...you said the plugs come on for only a sec. is this on a hot engine or cold? it sounds to me like a definate plug related issue. you can read in the tech articles about the controller i think, but here's the basic info.
the controller reads resistance in the wires to determine how long to have the plugs on. when its cold, naturally you have less resistance, so plugs are on longer, when hot, more resistance and less time. if you have a dead plug or one out of the .5-2 ohm range, that can greatly increase resistance and the controller will light em' for a much shorter period of time.
it sounds like you might have multiple failing plugs. test them with a multimeter for ohm's, one lead on the bullet, the other on the threads and see if your in range. its a start. and i have to do the same thing to my truck this weekend too.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
sorry i just read the post again. she should fire up great when shes warm, the plugs should still come on for like a second or so even when hot. if the truck doesnt like to start when hot, after you check out the plug issue, your ip might be starting to go.

tractorman86

Reaction score
check the gp's for good measure but that can't be your hard start issue. the starter might be week, ip, or inj's might be week. i'd check the starter first, how fast does it crank when cold? A week starter gets worse with added heat, i fig that out the hard way i thought my batteries where bad at first.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same ploblem with my GP's right now. Checked the plugs and they ohm good. Thats as far as I got. Until I get time to work on it, I just ran a wire to the White wire on the GP sol into the cab to a starter bump switch I have then clamped the other end of the clip to a ground. So now I have a temporary manual system, Hillbilly style!

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
My plugs were only staying on for a flicker of the light till I replaced them. Looked like the stock ones from 1993, it fires right up now.
If it's not starting as fast warm I doubt it's a glow plug issue though, mine will fire right up with hardley even one crank when it's warmed up. :D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
you're in Florida so it's always warm where you are to begin with so you're not likely to see long gp times., that said, it should fire right off when warmed up, so if it's having trouble , try the room temp water poured over the injection pump trick to see if that makes it fire off faster. If that does the trick, you're injection pump is on it's last legs and it's time to contact Mel for a moose pump so you can be the envy of all your friends ;Sweet

------Robert

tractorman86

Reaction score
you're in Florida so it's always warm where you are to begin with so you're not likely to see long gp times., that said, it should fire right off when warmed up, so if it's having trouble , try the room temp water poured over the injection pump trick to see if that makes it fire off faster. If that does the trick, you're injection pump is on it's last legs and it's time to contact Mel for a moose pump so you can be the envy of all your friends ;Sweet

------Robert

agreed!!!

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Hm, I kinda hope its not the IP pump, though I have the money for it, that was really the money to get the truck painted..... To my knowledge the IP pump isn't very old. I guess this was more a 2 problem question....

I have to test the GP's tomorrow I didn't get a chance to today. The lots of cranking when it's warm is still odd. It's not cranking fast enough is what I think the problem is there, but I know that the batteries are good, cause like I said in the morn that thing barley makes 2 revolutions and is fired up. So would that be more likely the starter than the IP pump? I just want to get it figured out before one thing gives up on me and it doesn't want to start...

sootman73

Reaction score
my friends 6.5l did something very similar to this. when the engine was cold and the GP's came on it would fire quick. but when the engine warmed up the GP's wouldn't come on and the starter just didn't spin it quick enough to get it to fire. we would have to wait until it cooled down enough so the GP's would come on. once they were on for about 5 seconds it would fire right up. starter had a dead spot in it. replaced the starter and no problems(well at least with starting as its a GM so everything else was pretty screwed up!lol) i

it may seem that the GP's come on when its warm but if it only flashes for a sec or two they wont do anything for making heat. then you'll be stuck if you dont have anything to jump the GP controller.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the controller reads resistance in the wires to determine how long to have the plugs on. when its cold, naturally you have less resistance, so plugs are on longer, when hot, more resistance and less time. if you have a dead plug or one out of the .5-2 ohm range, that can greatly increase resistance and the controller will light em' for a much shorter period of time.
it sounds like you might have multiple failing plugs. test them with a multimeter for ohm's, one lead on the bullet, the other on the threads and see if your in range. its a start. and i have to do the same thing to my truck this weekend too.

yeah, what he said about the cold starts. As for the warm ones, try pouring water on the ip next time it happens. If it helps, its your problem, and if not you can look at the starter.
I've been carrying around a jug of water for my ip for over a year now. I only need it every once and a while on warm days, but it never fails.
FYI a bottle of vegetable oil per tank will solve the problem for a while as well.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short cycling of the GPs is usually bad GPs, I'd bet your old solenoid was still working fine.

Hard start when hot sounds like IP......

Old school trick fer ya.......Pour about a liter or 2 of cool water on the IP next time it's hard to start, if it fires right up get ready to change the IP out, it's about done.

benwill1

94Ecabfaciditrb4x4
Reaction score
I'm having hard starting when hot issues also. It was bad enough to where I would give it a shot of WD-40 to start it. Brand new starter, batteries, and even heavy duty jumper cables and no start. It helped to let it idle for a few seconds be fore shutting it off.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
My truck is a little slow to start when warm. Its really bad if I turn it off after driving it a while being warm, then a 3-5 minutes later trying to start it, it turns overs so slow, you can count them real easy.

My problem is that it turns over slow though, for how slow it turns over I say the IP is fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance