Weird Starting?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Yep just like shadetree says............it will come out just blow the dirt away with an air hose and have plenty of 1/4 inch socket swivels and extensions ready, and a couple pair of extended needle nose pliers with the 45 and 90 degree bend. I will agree they are a bear to get out but it can be done without removing anything but the air box just as long as you have the right tools.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I dunno if I'm up for such a challenge, which sort of sucks, I guess if I had someone to sort of help me it wouldn't be so bad.... I just don't want to mess anything up, ya know? We'll see what the weekend brings I suppose......

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you take anything out, test them. IME, a test light will usually find a bad glow plug, even a bad solid state plug. An Ohm-meter is better, but just a 12V bulb with the red wire to the positive battery terminal, black to the bullet. Worst part is getting the connectors off this really might be easier for you than for some of us, I'll assume you have a good bit smaller hands than most of us, which would help a lot. Who knows, you might get lucky and your dead glow plug is on #1 or 2.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
I dunno if I'm up for such a challenge, which sort of sucks, I guess if I had someone to sort of help me it wouldn't be so bad.... I just don't want to mess anything up, ya know? We'll see what the weekend brings I suppose......

Take DieselJD's advise of testing them first.........but buy some long needle nose pliers with a 45 and 90 degree tips. It makes gettting the caps on and off a LOT easier.

Messing things up is the best way to learn. Besides it really isnt that tough of a job. The satisfaction of fixing it yourself will be worth every penny.

"someone to sort of help"................thats what this site is all about! Let the guys here guide your hands like Patrick Swayze in the movie Ghost!:love: :angel: :rotflmao

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
"someone to sort of help"................thats what this site is all about! Let the guys here guide your hands like Patrick Swayze in the movie Ghost!:love: :angel: :rotflmao

:D :D LOL ya'll are funny, huh? ;p

So yea, tomorrow will be my project day for this, I felt like crap all day today.... I called around to some autozones... there are no more ZD9's to be had so I'm gunna have to get a different brand i guess.... -cuss

guess i'll let ya know how this turns out......

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
The GP's need fixin' anyways.... aside from the harder starts when it's warm..... so one problem solved at a time..... lol

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had written a long reply for you, but the computer lost it....piece of crap! But I hope you feel better... and if you find just one or two dead plugs and you want a couple ZD9s I have a bunch stockpiled which you could have for a $1.00 each same as I paid for them, I'd just drop them in the mail to you, and you;d have them next day I'm sure. If you want a whole set you could try wellmans or Delphis, whatever MWFI has, they are a good 2nd choice. In Ocala you could also try Williams Diesel, they might still have some ZD9s, but they were $10 each last time I checked and that's been a few years ago. Good luck,
JD

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
ok.... for starters i tested the #1 and #5 GP (cause they were easy to get to up front and all) with an ohm meter..... sticking the negative end down there where the GP connects with the block and the positive end to the bullet of the GP i'm getting a reading on the #1 of 2.3 and #5 a 1.9...... these are bad, no? I haven't messed with the others yet, cause I want to make sure i'm doing this right before i keep going......

also.. the #1 connector is all messed up, can i get a replacement for this? or?

Last edited:

suv7734

Reaction score
You're looking for a reading of 2 ohms or less on a cold glow plug. The 2.3 on #1 should be acceptable. The connectors tend to be brittle so be careful. There are no replacements available so many people have different ways of repairing them. Some will use regular female 'bullet' connectors, unfortunately they are not available in the correct yellow size so it is a bit of a chore to fit them properly. Some have used heat shrink to cover the connector. Others have also just left them alone. Personally I have used some 5/16 " fuel hose to slide what was left of the plastic connector into and then heat shrink it to the top of the plastic part (if that makes sense). I had mine on for about 4 years with no problems.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Ok well.... the connector on #1 is toast.... I mean it's barely even worth calling it a "connector".....:rotflmao ......... Ok now that I know less than 2 ohms is a good one I will carry on testing them later this evening when it cools off some. I didn't want to tear into everything and not have a clue...... :D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the connector on 1 is not making solid contact with that glow plug then that may be your problem right there. It sucks, but its true that no direct replacements exist for these connectors short of a whole new harness(or good used) I'm pretty sure the insulator is not needed for it to work right. If the connector is OK you could use any of the SUV's suggestions or just use a lot of electric tape for an insulator. If the connector is toast...maybe someone has a good suggestion, I heard someone throw out the idea of butt connectors? I could never get the blue or pink (14-16 or 18-22) female bullet connectors to work reliably once they had a few heat/cool cycles. Oh so close but not quite, to the point that 6 or 7 will stick right and one or two would be loose or pop off. Good luck and post back with what else you find.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I'm gunna try and do some electrical tape around it... i should take a pic of it, it's pretty funny, like i said not even worth calling it a "connector" hahahah..... well i'll let ya'll know whats up......

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I'm gunna try and do some electrical tape around it... i should take a pic of it, it's pretty funny, like i said not even worth calling it a "connector" hahahah..... well i'll let ya'll know whats up......

If you can sneek some electrical tape in there to wrap it with. I've always found it kinda tight in there, even without a turbo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online