Wedge brakes

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I know they're universally hated, but I have 'em up front and S-Cams in back. The reason is because the 4x4 front axle hubs don't leave enough room fro S-Cams.

I can't figure out how they're adjusted. What do I need to be worried about? I heard horror stories about them, yet they seem to work beeautifully.

They're Rockwell Stopmaster brand.

dondiesel444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard horror stories about them too, but I don't have any experience with them. do they have regular slack adjusters?

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I haven't really seen any. .

They are like 2 small "pods", like big hockey pucks, with air lines going into them. I have seen a diagram with all the parts, but I can't seem to find how to adjust them.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
From what I can tell, the brake chamber rod, screws into the wedge, and drives it in, when applied.

I have no experience myself, working on them. A good bud of mine has been around a 4x4 Binder, with wedge brakes. I'll ask him, next time I see him.

If you see a post by Daryl, that's him.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is he on this site? If not, get him over here!! Sounds like he'd be a real helpful addition.

Sbrem

Reaction score
At work we have an '89 Ford L9000 that for whatever reason has these brakes on the front. I think they are supposed to be self adjusting,( I don't know that for sure, but I thnk I heard that somewhere.) No one at work knows anything about them. It's our only truck that has those things and if they start to act up we take it somewhere to get fixed.

Stephen

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford was big on Wedge style brakes in the 80's. I did find out today that they're "self adjusting" (yeah right).

Like i say, no problems, they stop evenly, no leaks, they look very clean. maybe they were replaced just before I bought the truck?

Sbrem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
Ford was big on Wedge style brakes in the 80's. I did find out today that they're "self adjusting" (yeah right).
?

Yeah its only the '89 that has the Wedge brakes. The '92 and '96 both have normal S cams.

Stephen

Copper

Reaction score
Hey Duke, I'm about halfway through a brake job on a set of Stopmaster II's on a big-ass 18,000 lb. Rockwell, under the front of one of my Paystars. They've got regular old star wheels, just like a car. :rolleyes: PITA, if you ask me. Anyhow, there's one for each shoe, and the plugs are right above or right below where the air can rods go into the backing plate. Mind didn't have any self-adjusting stuff in there, but it might have been ********** with the last brake job, plus they're older and a size bigger ( I think - they're 6"x15" or so drums).

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Talked to Daryl about 2 binders with wedge brakes. He tells me, that he's never had to work on, or adjust them.

One is a 1600 4x4 firetruck, and the other is an older twin screw grain bucket.

His comment was, "If anyone wants that damned Binder, tell them to make me an offer."

I think it's a 290 Cummins, 10 speed. Don't remember for sure. Been a while, since I drove it.

Copper

Reaction score
Okay, I had to tear it the rest of the way apart today to see how it works - they've got a little self-adjusting ratchet that looks like the plunger/spring setup from an automatic slack adjuster, and yes, mine are self-adjusting, just different from what I was used to looking at. One side had a stripped out adjuster, and everything was really, really slimy from the bad wheel seals (the reason it was apart in the first place) but other than that everything was working correctly. New shoes and drums and out the door!

dt4666man22

Reaction score
The truck i drove a couple of summers ago had air brakes not sure if it had wedges up front or not.
The air can was thin not like on the back axle where they are tall. And they were mounted on the top of the spindle pointing toward the engine compt.

Any way i remember that to adjust them the rod out of the Air can to the lever that pushes the shoes out was threaded like a tie rod. One person would press the brake down and the other would adjust the brakes by turning the rod when the pedal was released. Both sides had to be exactly equal or it would pull real bad.

Not sure if it was Wedge or not though.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The air cans need to be put back in the same number of turns, also do not use heavy grease in the adjuster area or they wont self adjust. There are manuals to set the pushrod if you didnt count turns coming apart, I know this for sure, dont ask, Anyway if they are done right they work really well.
hope this helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online