Wear ring removal

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What's the best way to get an old wear ring off the rear of the crank on one of these things. Heat and pry, slice most of the way through with a dremmel and pop apart, or ????
Been way too long since I've had to fool with getting one of those things off , I'm drawing a blank.

The block is out, off the stand and nose down on a pallet so it's easy to get to at the moment ;Sweet

Thanks---------Robert

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Geeze, you gots an easy one there LOL

Just remove the seal carrier and use the dremel or a flat,sharp chisel. I have done both.

After ermoval, some light polishing with some emery cloth and use some p-tex # 2 on the inside of the new sleeve....not absolute nessecity, but ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess the old brain bag wasn't too far off LOL
I've got some sleeve retainer to put on the new one. That oughta keep it from going anywhere , unless it looks like it needs something a little thicker in there then I've got plenty of Hylomar ;Sweet

It's been forever since I've fooled with those things. I can't remember, I think I used to lay some copper coat on and fight them on over that goo

-------Robert

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I need to add this. As you are pressing or driving it on the sleeve picks up more drag and will be harder and harder to install completely. Just make sure its installed deep enough to clear the flywheel face. Look at the sleeve on there now. Otherwise its really not that bad of a job. Are you at least looking at the front seal too???

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Are you at least looking at the front seal too???

Yeah, I got both. The front has a pretty nasty groove , but it's still on original surface so that one's just a press on. Won't have to fuss anything off of it. It was seeping pretty good. The rear sleeve just had a little bit of a distortion in it, but that's enough for me -Down don't need that noise.