Water Temp Sending Unit?

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been searching for a half hour and am having no luck. i am looking for a part number for the water temp sending unit. i have been to the auto parts 2 times and they keep trying to sell me what looks like the water temp switch in the water pump. i am looking for the sending unit on the front of the head for the gauge. can anyone help me out here?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to rockauto.com. Plug in your truck and get all the way down to the parts section. Click on the "electrical switch-relay" catagory. Then click on "temperature switch" near the bottom.

Your truck has 3 coolant sensors. The two wire one they have been trying to give you, and there are two others. One is for the guage and one is a switch for the overtemp feature. Maybe from the pictures above you can figure out which one you need.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
From what I have in my book, the Motorcraft part # for that switch is F3TF10B843AA.

I cross checked with Rockauto.com and it matches. Aren't most Ford engines temp senders for the gauge interchangable?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have in my book, the Motorcraft part # for that switch is F3TF10B843AA.

I cross checked with Rockauto.com and it matches. Aren't most Ford engines temp senders for the gauge interchangable?

The problem with the idi's is they have 3 different ones all used at the same time;
1. A two wire switch for the fast idle/cold advance

2. A single wire switch for the overtemp feature

3. A single wire sending unit for the gauge. This one probably is interchangeable with other Ford applications.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where is the two wire switch for the cold advance/high idle?

It's somewhat on the passenger side front of the engine, down in a hole from the top. Look behind the top radiator hose, a little to the passenger side.

1994IDI

Reaction score
The Cold advance sensor is right behind the upper radiator hose on the top of the engine, The overtemp is easily next to the exhaust manifold toward the front of the engine, but still on the driver side. But where is the normal gauge sending unit.

david_lee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pictures that are provided of the sensors do not look exactly like whats on my truck. that is whats throwing me off here. i guess i will have to test the sensor that the auto parts store sold me and see if it is actually a switch or a sending unit.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
maybe im being dense but can someone post a picture? i looked and couldnt find the one next to the upper rad hose.

only sending unit i see, is on the driver side with one wire...which i think mine took a poop on me since my guage is now in-op.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
The first pic shows the temerature switch that activates the high idle/timing advance.

You must be registered for see images attach

The second pic shows the gauge sender and the temperature light switch.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrannonB

Members online